Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 2003 SV650S owner from PA. This is the next of many bikes I have owned. Looking for some help in maintaining the bike and purchasing some used OEM parts. Well nice too meet you all.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Welcome from about 40 minutes northeast of you. I did my undergrad at Bloomsburg University and graduated highschool from Danville, so I'm very familiar with your neck of the woods.

If you ever want to meet up and ride, let me know.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I'm right in the middle of Bloomsburg, if your up this way sure I'll go for a ride. I have a CBR1000RR also, put passed this SV650S last Sunday heading to Rickett's Glen and couldn't pass it up. I cant wait until I can post a thread. I have to wait two weeks and I need some parts and info now, lol. Why do the forums start at the last post and go backwards to the first? I guess it's the right way, i just like reading the from the start, not sure if you can change that.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Ha, I saw that silver SV the other day! Good buy, maybe I'll see you around (I'm in Berwick).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ha, I saw that silver SV the other day! Good buy, maybe I'll see you around (I'm in Berwick).
Wow, small world! I ended up paying $2200 for it, if I would have looked over it a bit more $2k would have been it. I still couldn't pass it up! Its got some miles(23k), and needs some TLC. This winter I may refresh the top end.Just got done installing new 17/44 sprockets, and 520 chain, and new shifter. On the way are front and rear Battlax's, oil and filter(s), NGK plugs, Zero Gravity dark smoke windscreen, Jardine Rt-1 exhaust w/midpipe, F & R EBC brakes and Galfer lines. Had a K & N on it which I serviced, gald I looked before I bought a new one. And possibly a new rear seat if I can make the deal..... I'm about to have surgery on my shoulder the 29th, and don't do much riding because of that. But next year I'll have to look for you. I ride a 2 tone silver/silver metallic 2006 CBR1000RR also, its got a Jardine exhaust on it too, you'll know its me it's pretty loud and I only know of one other CBR in the area with that color scheme. I ride into Berwick once in a while hitting 93 to Hazelton, but I will have to look you up when I do, Mike B.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Wow. You went up +2 in the front? That bike should be great for gas mileage and long trips. I just went down one in the rear for lower highway RPMs and better gas mileage. Don't know how much difference it will make yet with just one tooth in the rear. How is the difference with two in the front? Pretty drastic?

Btw, you can change the order in which posts are viewed by changing your options.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow. You went up +2 in the front? That bike should be great for gas mileage and long trips. I just went down one in the rear for lower highway RPMs and better gas mileage. Don't know how much difference it will make yet with just one tooth in the rear. How is the difference with two in the front? Pretty drastic?

Btw, you can change the order in which posts are viewed by changing your options.
That's why I bought the bike, for longer trips. I haven't ridden it yet I just finished doing the sprockets yesterday plus I rode the bike home and its been parked. I want something to travel on the interstate, or Rt 11 a long distance with low RPM's, that should give it to me. I have the bike pretty much ripped apart right now waiting for new parts to arrive this week. When I take it for a ride I'll let you know. The bike felt geared high to me on the ride home, I thought it was the stock 15/44 sprocket setup. Well it turns out it was 15/46. I should have checked it out first, but probably would have just gone 16/44....Thanks for telling me its on the options to change the post's.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Let us know how the gearing change feels after you get some miles on it. That's definitely the opposite direction that most go.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let us know how the gearing change feels after you get some miles on it. That's definitely the opposite direction that most go.
It is, and I will. About a week or so and I should start putting some miles on it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just took it for a little ride, and I love the new gearing. At 65 mph in 6th gear its a little over 4k rpm. Which is nice, that's about where I wanted it. And opened it up in first to second and it didn't hesitate at all. I'll post a little more rpm/gear/speed if anybody is interested, but I'm sure you can find it online..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Added some pictures, the top one is when I first saw it for sale, the bottom 2 are my CBR and the SV at my house.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bet riding in PA is great. I never had a bike up there, yet, but I did grow up in Williamsport. Welcome.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bet riding in PA is great. I never had a bike up there, yet, but I did grow up in Williamsport. Welcome.
I've had bikes since I was 5 years old, and got my first real street bike at 15. It is fun to ride in PA, late September/October riding is priceless. A friend that has a Triumph told me a road about 10 miles from my house is listed as one of the most desirable to ride on some website. Never put it all together at the time, but guys from reading PA used to ride up Rt 61 to 339 every Sunday. It was odd going to my buddy's house in Scotch Valley and in the middle of nowhere seeing 20-30 rockets parked alongside the road at the Shumantown Bridge. It is one of my favorite roads to ride ever.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts