Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2499 Posts

· Premium Member
6,601 Posts
ATTENTION!
I am moving all relevant info out of the old fork swap thread and into this one. I'm also updating the info in this first post to make it easier to find out what you need to know.
I am doing this because of (many) requests I've received.
If you have any suggestions about things I should add, please PM me. Thank you.

General*****

If you want to put a GSXR front end on your SV you will need the following GSXR parts...

Clip-on
Triple clamps
Forks
Axle
Wheel
Calipers
Rotors
Fender
And all associated hardware.*
If you have a 1999 - 2002 SV then you also need a top-bearing kit from TWF and upper-bearing dust cover 51643-33E00.*

You DO NOT need the controls, levers, perches, hoses, or cables. If you're using a radial front end then you need a radial master cylinder, otherwise, you can keep using your SV master cylinder.

On 1999 - 2002 bikes it is ideal to use SRAD (96 - 99) triple clamps as they'll allow you to retain your steering stops and neck lock. The neck lock does require the minor filing of either the steering stops or the slot for the locking pin in the neck of the frame.* The SRAD 750 triples can be used with newer 750/1000 forks but you will also need the SRAD wheel and axle.* You'll also need to shim your calipers using washers or spacer brackets.

On 03+ bikes, any 00-05 GSXR triples will keep the steering stops and neck lock. Newer front ends will work as well but I don't know about the steering stops or neck lock.

None of the GSXR triple clamps* have provisions for naked gauge mounts.* You will have to drill holes for them and use bolts with spacers.*

If you are converting a naked bike your cables will be too long and you may need to re-route them.* Replacing them is not necessary but is recommended for an ideal install.* SVS cables and brake hoses for the SVS of the same vintage are an easy solution.* The wires will be long as well but they are easily stuffed back into the frame.*

It is my opinion that You should NOT bolt handlebar risers to the GSXR triple clamp.* They are not thick enough to properly support the load!*

The GSXR forks are a bit shorter (typically ~1/2"). Using a /70 series front tire (correct for all GSXRs) will make up for some of this. It will also make your speedometer more accurate.*

Parts Compatibility*****
The rotors are the same 96-03.* Radial rotors are different.*
Radial fenders are different too.*
04/05 nonradial fenders can be mounted on 00-03 forks by cutting down the rear mount and drilling a new hole.*
Calipers are the same 96-03 as well.*
The SRAD wheel is the same as Hayabusa and TL1000.*
Clip-on is the same 96 to 03 for 750 and 1000 forks, older 600's are smaller.*
You can use your SVS brake lines.* Naked brake lines will be way too long but will work.*
Gen2 steering stem hardware will fit, but gen1 will not.*
You can use 00-03 USD forks with 05/06 triples, or vice versa.*
Stick with the correct clip-on for your triples or use aftermarket.*
Do not mix and match upper/lower triple clamps between generations.*
Pre-04 600 forks are NOT USD. Their triples will NOT work with USD forks.*

Speedometer Drive*

The easiest way is to get a hold of Jim ([email protected]) and get his speedo kit.* It contains a hall effect sensor and 4 magnets with nice pretty holders that screw into the holes in the rotor rivets.* You can use a 3-wire hall effect sensor from Digikey and find your own magnets.*
If you want to do it yourself...
The part number for the sensor: is Hall Effect (http://www.digikey.com Part Number CH417-ND).
Use any 4 magnets that you can properly fit into the rotor rivets.*
The poles of each magnet should be the same around the rotor (or wherever they are mounted).

The sensor mounts to the bottom caliper bolt (either side, doesn't matter) with a bracket that Jim includes.* I attached my sensor to the bracket with lots of high temp black RTV silicone and put a hose clamp on the sensor opposite side of the bracket just to make sure it stays put.*

You need to cut your speedo sensor wire and solder the 3 wires together, I'll post the wiring diagrams so you know which color goes to which soon.* You should also heat shrink each wire and use a larger piece of heat shrink to hold all 3 wires together and make it look nice.* A small piece of spiral wrap from RadioShack or equivalent around the wiring that sticks out of the sensor will help protect it if you brush up against something, like the ground, while the bike is on its side.* I piece of fuel line and some zip ties or self-fusing silicone tape would work too.*

· Registered
40 Posts
Re: GSXR Forks Swap Guide

Also, clip-ons are NOT the same between models and years in regards to bar position.
Also, the radials use a locator tab and the non-radials use a locator screw.

· Registered
40 Posts

Triples are different in offset between 600/750 and the 1000, maybe also between years.
Better to get a matcing set (top and bottom) unless you know for sure which are identical and compatible.

radial calipers from the 04-05 600/750 and 04 1000 are identical.
03 1000 uses a 4 pad design (the above uses 2 pads), which is nice to know when ordering new pads ;)

non-radial rotors are 320 mm, radials are 300.
but radial calipers can easily be spaced out to accept 310 or 320 mm rotors, you just need 5 or 10 mm spacers and longer bolts.
note that the caliper bolts uses a finer thread than standard bolts, 1.25 vs. 1.50 thread.
310 mm rotors are from the SV1000 which uses the same front rim as a K-series gsx-r, meaning an SV1000 owner can reuse his front wheel and rotors (rotors only when fitting a radial brake fork)

The speedosensor can also be fitted to the countershaft, which requires you to drill and tap the countershaft center (behind the sprocket cover).
bolt the speedorotor to the countershaft.
make a hole in the sprocket cover and fit the gsx-r speedosensor.
you will need to shorten the arm om the clutch actuator (or whatever it's called)
if you use an original gsx-r speedosensor, then it will plug straight into you wiring harness, although you have to lengthen the cables.
(I've done this myself on my K4 SV650)

· Registered
784 Posts

I haven't messed with adjustment too much, but I would assume there is a way to take up slack on the clutch and throttle cables?

Oh and donniej, as far as Jim's speedo fix goes, I saw that it mounts for NON radial mounted brakes. Do you know if he sells a different mounting bracket for radial forks (04-05 750?). If not I'm sure I could make one, just looking for the easy way out ;)

· Premium Member
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

aaldape said:
I haven't messed with adjustment too much, but I would assume there is a way to take up slack on the clutch and throttle cables?

Oh and donniej, as far as Jim's speedo fix goes, I saw that it mounts for NON radial mounted brakes. Do you know if he sells a different mounting bracket for radial forks (04-05 750?). If not I'm sure I could make one, just looking for the easy way out  ;)
You can push the cables into the frame but it's ideal to use SVS cables.  The naked brake lines will be rediculously long though.  

If you can't cut out a little bracket for the speedo sensor then maybe you should reconsider swapping an entire front end...  ;D

· Registered
11,100 Posts

No GSXR forks came in black. DLC coating on the sliders was on the 1000 forks and some 750s I think.

1000 vs 750 - 1ks are Kayaba and 750 are Showa. 1ks have a slightly shorter compressed length.

· Premium Member
9,428 Posts

Nudist said:
Radial brakes are a huge difference IMO.

not to mention the differant spring rate, .825 ish for 04-05 and .726 ish for 00-03, internals are better in the 04-05 as well, they were updated, not that the 00-03 are junk, most people don't want the gold and perfer the silver, so the 04-05 i've seen have a better price ;)

G

·

thejimdaddy said:
not to mention the differant spring rate, .825 ish for 04-05 and .726 ish for 00-03, internals are better in the 04-05 as well, they were updated, not that the 00-03 are junk, most people don't want the gold and perfer the silver, so the 04-05 i've seen have a better price ;)
internals are basicly same.difference is in location of bushings,04 and up have both bushings in upper leg while older one in each leg(upper and lower).
springs are .85/.80

· Registered
28 Posts

so what did you do to get yours black nudist?

from what i gather:
00-03 750=silver/silver, showa
04-05 750=gold/black, kayaba
06-07 750=black/silver,kayaba
00-03 600=not usd, showa
04-05 600=gold/silver,kayaba
06-07 600=gold/silver, kayaba
04 1000= gold/black,kayaba
06-07 1000=gold/silver,kayaba

if im wrong please correct me :)

· BannedCampCounselor
12,850 Posts

donniej said:
I've heard the 06 rotors are 300 or 310 (I don't recall).  I've also heard that they have a different bolt pattern so they might not fit the SRAD wheel, again I don't know for sure. 
Im pretty sure they upped the rotor size for 06 to 310mm, and Im sure I've read on here where Zoran (TWF) stated that 06 rotors are a different bolt pattern.

· Registered
11,100 Posts

dackler said:
Im pretty sure they upped the rotor size for 06 to 310mm, and Im sure I've read on here where Zoran (TWF) stated that 06 rotors are a different bolt pattern.
They are.

· Registered
11,100 Posts

aaldape said:
I think the 03 gsxr 1000 rotors are 300mm, as well as the 04-05 gsxr 600/750 rotors (which are the ones I got for my set up, which is the exact thing you are doing). However it will depend on where your calipers are mounted on the 1000 forks (may take 310mm instead of 300)... Hope any of this ranting helps  ;)
That is all correct, and the 04 1k rotors a 300 as well/

G

·

if forks take 310mm stock(06)than those are smallest you can use.however you can use bigger ones,320mm(like srad and 01-03 gen).bolt patern is different on 05 gsxr1000 and 06's.triples would fit but you deal with rotor side spacing.

· Registered
73 Posts

Mrwoo said:
Thanks the Jimdaddy. I must be a litle confused. I know how to get around that problem by fab. different stops. I was told that the actual ignition (key) is offset to the right or left on theSrad. On the 2nd gen. Sv its in the middle. Thats the problem I was wondering about.
Hey... i just got done putting 99 srad forks on my 2004 svs. The ignition lock works but it locks your wheel to center instead of to the side (center ignition instread of offset). The steering stops dont line up, but the bars dont go the tank. My SVS has aftermarket headlights and no fairing ( i dont know how it will line up in relation to that. but the forks stop at the radiator mount on your frame. I put some adhesive backed rubber button things on the mounts to pad the the forks. Works good enough as a steering stop. Just yesterday i rigged up mounts for a post srad steering damper ( theyre arent any mounts on the srad forks), and that acts as new steering stops. Only other problem you may run into is that with the bars far to the right, the throttle cables bind a little on the ignition. I didnt mess with it, but you could figure out some way to keep the cables under the ignition, then it would work fine. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Ok.. question of my own... everyone recomends the 4 pot calipers over the six. WHy is that? I put the sixes on along with my 99 master and galfer ss lines. Ive bled multiple bottles of brake fluid through them and they are still squishy. They stop my fine.. but my SV brakes felt better. Also.. right as i come to a complete stop theres a sort of click, and it also knocks around if i grab the front brakes and shove it front and back it makes a similar noise, that i imagine to be loose steering head bearings. Could this be the brakes? The bearings? My imagination? for info, i put in All Balls tapered roller bearings. Also, does anyone know the right torque to put on these bearings? People keep giving me different answers.

One more question.. where can you get the tool to tighten the castleated bearing nuts? What have you guys used as alternatives? And why the shit did suzuki make them ALUMINUM??

1 - 20 of 2499 Posts