Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

New experimental chain cleaning technique

5K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  NTJordan 
#1 ·
OK.. I may pay for this later but it worked beautifully today..
I was cleaning my bike and discovered that the only solvent I had on hand was not safe for use on rubber so with the bike shops closed and a real need to clean my chain I started looking for other options. I thought about the GOOP brand hand cleaner on the bench and decided to give it a try. I filled the palm of my hand with the goop and using all of the knowledge I gained in junior high closed my hand around the chain and rubbed back and forth, refill, rotate wheel, repeat. Rinsed the chain off and AMAZING... It's the cleanest its ever been. I ran the bike down the street a bit to heat up the chain and sling out any water, came back and oiled it as usual.. I also used the goop to clean my back wheel and it did an amazing job of removing the chain was buildup. If I'm still running fine in the next few weeks I'll let you know, if not I needed a new lighter weight chain and sprocket set anyway.. LOLOL
The main advantage I see if this works it fewer chemicals to deal with it really was much easier than the brake/chain cleaner and wire brush method I have been using.

#27 ·
I think that the main thing here is that goop doesn't break down the rubber o-rings. In my understanding one of the main reasons for chain failure is solvents breaking down the rubber in the o-rings and allowing the lube to escape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.