Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
G

·
This is all a bad idea,you are removing any lube and it cant be good. Kerosene is like 2.50 a gal if even that. And keeping the chain pristine isnt important either, I have 18,000 miles on my original.

·
Registered
214 Posts
dirty used kerosene?

I used kerosene for the first time recently instead of WD40. I used the oil catch bucket to catch the kerosene coming off the chain.

*What do you All do with the old solvents?! *
Seriously. (bout a quart for me)

I bring the old oil to oil change garage

thanks
ed

·
Registered
254 Posts
svslider said:
This is all a bad idea,you are removing any lube and it cant be good. Kerosene is like 2.50 a gal if even that. And keeping the chain pristine isnt important either, I have 18,000 miles on my original.
If you cleaned it up real good with kerosene you'd be doing the same thing. As long as you re-lube you're alright.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I prefer to follow my mom's advice. If you don't get it dirty, you don't have to clean up later :wink:

G

·
The thing is we know kerosene cant get past the o rings. We wont know if goop doesnt until some people get lots of miles on their goop cleaned chains.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I think that the main thing here is that goop doesn't break down the rubber o-rings. In my understanding one of the main reasons for chain failure is solvents breaking down the rubber in the o-rings and allowing the lube to escape.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
kerosene is much cheaper than goop. the only thing goop does is make the chain look brighter, but the chain doesn't care if it looks shiny, it only matters that it's not clogged with crud.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
To each his own.. Personally I'm glad not to have to deal with the caustic solvents and disposal of waste.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
If you'd take care of chain maitenance at more frequent intervals you wouldn't need to use a wire brush,

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
grrr youtube zombie clip not working!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
That's the one! Good call TeeRiver!

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Well, seeing as this ancient thread came back (I didn't even own a bike when the last post was made!) we might as well find out: How are the Goop chains doing?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts