Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is all a bad idea,you are removing any lube and it cant be good. Kerosene is like 2.50 a gal if even that. And keeping the chain pristine isnt important either, I have 18,000 miles on my original.

dirty used kerosene?

I used kerosene for the first time recently instead of WD40. I used the oil catch bucket to catch the kerosene coming off the chain.

*What do you All do with the old solvents?! *
Seriously. (bout a quart for me)

I bring the old oil to oil change garage

thanks
ed

svslider said:
This is all a bad idea,you are removing any lube and it cant be good. Kerosene is like 2.50 a gal if even that. And keeping the chain pristine isnt important either, I have 18,000 miles on my original.
If you cleaned it up real good with kerosene you'd be doing the same thing. As long as you re-lube you're alright.

I prefer to follow my mom's advice. If you don't get it dirty, you don't have to clean up later :wink:

The thing is we know kerosene cant get past the o rings. We wont know if goop doesnt until some people get lots of miles on their goop cleaned chains.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
I think that the main thing here is that goop doesn't break down the rubber o-rings. In my understanding one of the main reasons for chain failure is solvents breaking down the rubber in the o-rings and allowing the lube to escape.

kerosene is much cheaper than goop. the only thing goop does is make the chain look brighter, but the chain doesn't care if it looks shiny, it only matters that it's not clogged with crud.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.