Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

New experimental chain cleaning technique

5K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  NTJordan 
#1 ·
OK.. I may pay for this later but it worked beautifully today..
I was cleaning my bike and discovered that the only solvent I had on hand was not safe for use on rubber so with the bike shops closed and a real need to clean my chain I started looking for other options. I thought about the GOOP brand hand cleaner on the bench and decided to give it a try. I filled the palm of my hand with the goop and using all of the knowledge I gained in junior high closed my hand around the chain and rubbed back and forth, refill, rotate wheel, repeat. Rinsed the chain off and AMAZING... It's the cleanest its ever been. I ran the bike down the street a bit to heat up the chain and sling out any water, came back and oiled it as usual.. I also used the goop to clean my back wheel and it did an amazing job of removing the chain was buildup. If I'm still running fine in the next few weeks I'll let you know, if not I needed a new lighter weight chain and sprocket set anyway.. LOLOL
The main advantage I see if this works it fewer chemicals to deal with it really was much easier than the brake/chain cleaner and wire brush method I have been using.

#5 ·
I used dawn on my bicycle chain every time and it worked wonders... as for my motorcycle... Never tryed cleaning it yet (ahh the joys of learning so many new things!!! :D )

I am interesting in some others comments. I have read about using many different things, such as diesel fuel-WD-40 as well as other... How does just soap work?

#6 ·
JaredMcDonley said:
I used dawn on my bicycle chain every time and it worked wonders... as for my motorcycle... Never tryed cleaning it yet (ahh the joys of learning so many new things!!! :D )

I am interesting in some others comments. I have read about using many different things, such as diesel fuel-WD-40 as well as other... How does just soap work?
I used Diesel to clean my chain and it works great. It's very similar to Kerosene.

#7 ·
Seriously. What happened to the other posts? They weren't even rude, just questions and answers. Weird. :?

Anyway, I use goop for my wheels as well. I 'discovered' how well it worked last year. Nothing else seems to break up the chain fling as well. Kerosene probably would, but I don't want that on my wheels or tires. Too hard to control. The goop is almost a gel, so you can keep it from running off and into the tread. Just wipe some on, rub it to help dissolve the gunk, and just wipe off. Works awesome.

For you guys with the silver wheels, this stuff could be your best friend.

#8 ·
Hmm...

That sounds like a pretty neat idea. It certainly would e useful when cleaning the wheels of grease.

Can anyone comment on whether this is bad for the chain or wheels?

-Mike

#10 ·
I'm squeemish so I aint looking
Checked out the chain this morning and no rust. So far so good.
I really liked it MUCH better than using brake parts cleaner on the chain. I have given myself some pretty painful chemical burns cleaning the chain before. Brake cleaner got under my wedding ring and had blistered me before I realized it. I was using scrubbing bubbles on my wheels but this is SOOOOOO much better. You hands seem to get dirtier because you really have to use your fingers to get into the nooks and crannies but since its a hand cleaner when you are done it all washes right off!!!.. EUREKA!!!!!..
NOTE.. be sure so clean off your back tire when you are done in case you placed your hand on the tread.. its very slippery after all.

#13 ·
soundman said:
...I really liked it MUCH better than using brake parts cleaner on the chain. I have given myself some pretty painful chemical burns cleaning the chain before.
Okay, now think about that nasty solvent easily working its way past your chain's o-rings (it's got the viscosity of penetrating oil) and doing really bad things to the grease inside your chain.

I'm no expert, but I'm inclined to think that water-based detergent solutions are probably the best things to use on chains. Oil-based solvents are a little too aggressive in their ability to either get past or potentially damage o-rings.

Bill

#15 ·
Did you not lube the chain after you were done cleaning it?

Why else would you be worried about rust?

#17 ·
You should probably use Kerosene like the service manual recommends. If you can't get kerosene, lamp oil is essentially the same thing. It works really well, but won't hurt the o-rings, nor will it penetrate beyond them. If you hurt the o-ring, or get solvent past them, the lubrication inside your pin will quickly break down, and the chain will wear out much faster.

G
#18 ·
zoltan said:
You should probably use Kerosene like the service manual recommends. If you can't get kerosene, lamp oil is essentially the same thing. It works really well, but won't hurt the o-rings, nor will it penetrate beyond them. If you hurt the o-ring, or get solvent past them, the lubrication inside your pin will quickly break down, and the chain will wear out much faster.
I actually don't think the goop is any more penetrating than the kerosene. I've used goop to clean up all kinds of things, including the case for the front sprocket on a honda.

FOR GUYS ONLY--Ladies skip this paragraph.
While your gf/so is away, spread a gloppy handful on the bottom of the tub (or shower) and dump a few tablespoons of Bonami on top. Brush it around. Come back in 10-15 minutes and brush it around some more and rinse. Never tell her how you did it or how long it took, and you'll be a biiiiig hero.

BTW, Goop will clean magic marker and that blue junk engineers and steel fabricators use, even if it's spilled and dried into a blue blob. It's a good prewash for that pair of pants you were wearing while you spilled oil or grease all over yourself. And at a buck or so a container, it's the best bargain in your shop.

*wondering why I didn't think of using it on a chain before now...*

#19 ·
"Did you not lube the chain after you were done cleaning it?

Why else would you be worried about rust?

05 SV 650s, Blue the fastest color."

Absolutely... .I've just never cleaned the chain with a water soluable product and was worried that it might cause it to begin corroding... No such problem though.... I will never use solvent based chain or brake cleaner to clean my chain again...

#20 ·
wow

This stuff works great!!

I can't believe I haven't tried this before. I used your technique but included a good scrubbing with my small scrub-brush and sprayed it off with the hose, and my chain has never been cleaner!!

After it was dry, I sprayed some new synthetic chain wax/lube from Maxima.

When I used to use kerosene/WD-40/diesel fuel, it never really got that clean because I never followed any of those with a good spray with the garden hose. I feel that really rinsed out the dirt and grime deep in the crevices.

I highly doubt this stuff is bad for o-rings also. And my chain looks brand new. Thanks for the tip!!!

Clean Chain!

Good stuff!

Clean bike!

#23 ·
dirty used kerosene?

I used kerosene for the first time recently instead of WD40. I used the oil catch bucket to catch the kerosene coming off the chain.

*What do you All do with the old solvents?! *
Seriously. (bout a quart for me)

I bring the old oil to oil change garage

thanks
ed

#24 ·
svslider said:
This is all a bad idea,you are removing any lube and it cant be good. Kerosene is like 2.50 a gal if even that. And keeping the chain pristine isnt important either, I have 18,000 miles on my original.
If you cleaned it up real good with kerosene you'd be doing the same thing. As long as you re-lube you're alright.

#25 ·
I prefer to follow my mom's advice. If you don't get it dirty, you don't have to clean up later :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.