Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With looking forward to another summer of high gas prices, and commuting on the bike( assuming I still have a job and/or my company is still in business)...I wanted to get a new light weight jacket for the rides in. My Firstgear plain jane black mesh jacket is great, but getting a little grungy, and frankly, old..I wanted to get something new. Being me, I did not wanna spend a lot of money.

I always get those email from New Enough...ever since I bought my first set of leathers from them a couple years ago. I checked out what they had in the latest clearance sale, and they had the Freestyke jackets for $59, down from $229. That is a good enough deal for me. It came today..I am pretty impressed.

You can see them here:

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/teknic/freestyle_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

I ordered the Camo one........which is subtle camo..as seen here:

need to get away from wearing my usual all black.

Anyway, its got a zip out liner..which will perfect for the days when its still cold in the morning, but hot in the afternoon. Unlike most mesh style jackets....which its really not, it has this waterproof liner.....so if you get caught in the rain, its not a huge deal. I used to always carry my wallet and cell in a ziplock, just in case the rain came. Also, bunch of external armor pieces, etc. Plenty of pockets and vents.

All in all, I am pretty happy with it...of course, I have yet to ride with it....but such is life.

Go with the sizing for your gut..if you have one like me...other wise, the chest size should be fine. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was thinking of getting one of these when I saw the clearance. Glad it turned out alright for ya!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I am really trying to save money right now...but when a deal is too good to pass up.....I don't. That is also the way I have bought my last two helmets from Motorcycle Superstore...."deal a day'...each for under $50 or so.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought the same jacket after seeing that email. Just got it today. I must say the rain liner was a lil disappointing IMO, doesn't look like it will breathe much. I was hoping for a cooler jacket, it being tex and all. We'll see. I caught a screw in my rear yesterday and had to order a new tire this afternoon... so it will be a few days before I can test the jacket out on the bike. For $60 I won't be too upset if it just becomes a backup jacket.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most rain gear doesn't breathe either........it would let water in, if it let sweat out.

Teknic does seem to have made something they say will breathe.....we'll see when I start using it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I got the same e-mail and picked one up as well.

fyi, friend in WA, used to be stationed in VA said that he wore the jacket and it moved air just fine into the 90s temperature wise. I'm hoping it's true, cause while I love my JR phoenix, I think this jacket offers better protection and abrasion resistance.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you guys get the same color as me too?

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I got blue - matches my bike...

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How does the armor feel? is it just padding or actual armor?
The exterior armor piece are actual pieces of hard plastic armor. Not sure if its actually CE approved or not? Its in good spots, that upon a fall, the jacket might wear away in those areas if sliding along pavement. The plastic there will be a good thing.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Ya it says the armor is CE approved. I haven't ridden with mine yet but I like the feel to the jacket. My only dislike is that there is now way to attach it to a pair of paints. Oh well but I likes other then that.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool..yeah, I can;t wait to have a bike finished and road worthy, and start riding to work again.

·
Registered
720 Posts
just went for my first ride with it.

I'd have to say I'm very happy. The armor feels solid, and it fits true to size. It doesn't baloon up at all, and it felt very secure. I also feel very confidently about the placement of the armor. All in all it feels like a quality piece of gear.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sorry for the delay in getting these to ya:

doghair not included. ;D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts