Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Alpinestars mesh jacket just went on sale, for $96 bucks.

T-Stunt 2 Air-Flo Mesh Jacket (Grey only)

Looks nice, and seems like a good deal. Anyone out there in SV-land have one?

Thoughts? Opinions?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I don't have that particular brand, but I do have one of the alpinestars mesh jackets and like it alot. It is a little thicker mesh than most and has CE armor. I think it will hold up better than the old Joe rocket jacket I had, but due to thicker mesh does not seem to move air quite as well. hope that helps.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Hey, Trambo! Thanks! Ordered this one today, along with the CE back protector. Been looking for a new jacket for a while. Liked this one, but held off, as it's one of the more expensive of the mesh type. Plus, A* is rarely discounted.

If you're interested in it, I can tell you from trying it on in stores that it has a natural cut, not extreme taper like some jackets, and that it is extremely well-made. Typical A* stuff. The collar and cuffs are soft enoprene and it has some adjustment. Even the zip-in liner, which is sometimes an afterthought on these types of jackets, seem sturdy and well-made. Plus, while it has a few logos, for a motorcycle jacket, it's pretty subtle and tasteful, IMO.

Another thing I like about it is it seems sturdier and safer than many mesh jackets. It uses Cordura in the areas where you're likely to slide (shoulders, upper chest and back, forearms) and a heavyweight, fine mesh in areas where you probably won't (inside of arms, armpits, lower back and stomach). The armor is also nice, sturdy CE stuff in the shoulders, elbows and forearms, plus a nice zip-in back pad that you can upgrade to the A* CE back protector for very little money. (Most jackets of this type have either no back protector at all, or just some foam sewn into the back. JR charges almost 3x as much for their CE backpad upgrade.)

Anyway, thanks for the tip. Hope it's good karma for tipping you off on those Delkevic exhausts!

EDIT: For those of you in more moderate climates, NE is also discounting the textile version of this jacket, with the zip-out thermal liner, for the same price (and, in all colors).
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/...tars/t_stunt_2_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well this is a kick in the pants. I got this jacket last year for a ripe price of $210, but even at that price it is worth it. So kudos to everyone who gets this at $96. I have the one with the zip-out thermal liner. I rode home the other night with a t-shirt on under the jacket and had the liner in and at ~50 degrees I was fine. Lots of pockets for wallet, iPod, etc and fits great. The vents work well in it too. Nebraska gets some serious heat and rarely am I cooking in it. Order yours today!!!

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ Craig - NP, LOL @ Karma & the Delkevic... ;) I agree, A* rarely gets discounted, and this looks like a really nice jacket.

Problem is, they are already sold out of the Medium size, and Large (which I will need) is on "Extended Backorder" already... :(

I may try to call them today & see exactly what that means... :p

·
Registered
476 Posts
Trambo: Please, if you find out what "Extended Backorder" means...post up. I was going to order this jacket. :(

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
hahahahahahaaha

aaron is gonna be p!ssed

y'allr gonna match at the rally ;D

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hahahahahahaaha

aaron is gonna be p!ssed

y'allr gonna match at the rally ;D
On second thought, maybe I'll look at the TourMaster stuff again. ;)

Wouldn't want to take a stray bullet or anything because of the jacket... ;D

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Problem is, they are already sold out of the Medium size, and Large (which I will need) is on "Extended Backorder" already... :(
Hey, finally, a use for my useless gut -- I get to order an XL.

Maybe you should think about getting the textile version? It has a few mesh panels, just not as much as the Airflo version. It'll prolly be a bit hotter in summer, but better in winter.

Either that, or start eating more. ;D

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've already got an excellent Spring/Fall jacket with my TM Transition 2. :thumbsup:

I'm looking for a full mesh jacket for the sweltering Richmond summers. Blech.

And the 'filling in' idea to an XL... ;) No thanks.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I decided to stick with Tour Master, since this closeout (in my size) sold out so fast. Besides, the TM jacket will zip up to my TM pants.

I'm ordering the Intake 2 jacket. Nice. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
^^^ That Intake 2 is a nice jacket.

According to tracking info, my T-Stunt 2 Airflo should be here tomorrow. Just in time for the weekend. Yay!

EDIT: Must have misread the website. Grrr! It apparently arrived from A* to NE on March 27th, and was shipped to me via FedEx ground that day. (It arrived on April 1). Just barely within acceptable time, considering the description said "ships in 3-5 days" (business days?). Oh well, at least the shipping was free.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
I have the T-stunt 1 A* jacket in grey. I really like it. Maybe I should wear it at the rally......On my ONE CYLINDER dirt bike.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
C'mon, Suzanne. You're still on one cylinder? I though you had that problem fixed. (Water in the front spark plug boot, wasn't it?)

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Wait. you're talking about the pocket bike, the SV, or did you get a dirt bike? (I can't keep track, LOL.)

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Well, my grey T-Stunt 2 AirFlo (and RC Back Protector) arrived today.

Really nice jacket. Lots of useful features, and it seems really safe and well-made. Only two minor disappointments:

1. The back is black and dark grey. I wish the mfgr. used more of the light grey (which is used on the arms and the chest), so it would be cooler in the sun. The newenough website only shows the back of the red model, and I'd forgotten what the grey looked like, exactly. For $96, I'll deal.

2. There is no provision for attaching it to riding pants. (I kinda remembered this from when I tried it on at a local shop.) I assume I can have a seamstress add this, but it would be nice if the jacket came with either loops, or an 8" zipper (preferably, both).

Now, I also have a couple of questions. Maybe someone here with this jacket and the RC Back Protector can help me out:

1.Where do I install the RC Back Protector? There is a zippered entry at the bottom of the mesh liner that says "Install Protection Here." Seems simple enough, but when you open the zipper, there isn't a "pocket" for the RC, just a vast space between the jacket and the liner. Beyond that, there is a pocket for the standard back protector with a velcro closure at the bottom. So, does the RC protector go between the jacket and the liner, or inside the pocket where the standard protector resides?

I can't figure out which is right, because when placed inside the pocket, the RC sits higher up my back; it's more comfortable that way, and covers more area under my neck, but it looks weirder from the outside, and covers less area at the small of my back.

2. Regardless of the answer to Q. #1, is it okay (performance-wise) if I wear both the standard and the RC protectors at the same time? Both will fit in the velcroed pocket, or with the standard protector in the pocket and the RC protector inside the liner. Also, if I wear both back protectors together, does it matter which is on the outside, and which is on the inside?

(FYI -- I bought an XL jacket mainly to go around my middle-aged gut, so I have enough room between my shoulders for both back protectors. Actually, the shoulder armor fits me better this way, even if it does make me look a bit hunchbacked.)

Anyway, great jacket; great price. Thanks again, Trambo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts