Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I read it but decided to run mine in as per the manual. Varying the speed/revs within the limits constantly with lots of engine braking, etc.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I rebuilt the engine in my 240sx I used this guy's break-in instructions and it WORKED really well. The engine compression numbers were great after the first 25 miles and the first oil change.

My decision to use a cheap Chinese turbo is what killed that engine. The turbine blades chipped apart while under boost and went into my engine. Once I pulled the engine apart, the pistons looked great except some scratching along the skirts from the chips getting mixed up in the oil.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
always gone with what the manual says. vary rpms and engine speed. let the motor warm all the way up to operating temperature before riding it.

S

·
0 Posts
You'll probably find plenty of opinions both for and against this method. I had seen that, too, shortly before I rode my new bike home from the dealer. It's been discussed somewhere on this forum before.

I broke mine in according to the manual, but I was a little bit harder on it than Suzuki recommends. I also did my first oil & filter change at 200 miles, and again at 700 miles. Been using plain old Rotella-T since the first oil change.

RandyO made a very good statement in the last sentence of this post:

http://forum.svrider.com/showpost.php?p=1085461&postcount=7

That post was in this thread:
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?p=1085461

·
Registered
105 Posts
I flogged my gixxer all the way home from the dealership (~70km), then did an oil change.

will I ever know if choosing the mototune method worked better? no. it sure was more fun tho, and if I can say it it was for the better health of my engine then that's just great...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
It comes with a book. Break in by the book takes only a couple of days if you dedicate yourself to learning the bike and riding. 5,000 RPM will get you to 70 MPH on the highway.

Remember that on a motorcycle there are other parts that are wearing in as you ride (the entire transmission, for example). Now I admit I've only been riding and driving for 47 years (had a birthday), but careful break in has always worked for me.

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
The engineers who designed the bike know best. RTFM (read the F**king manual). If you follow some other screwball's idea and the bike breaks down, you only have yourself to blame. If you follow the manual and the bike breaks down, it's Suzuki's fault.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts