Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new clutch kit, and am looking to put it in tomorrow. I've heard from many people putting a clutch on a bike, especially the SV is incredibly easy work. I have a pretty decent amount of automotive experience, and all the tools necessary.. However, I don't have the manual yet, and want to get my clutch in ASAP. I couldn't find any threads on installing a new clutch, anyone got any advice, or a general rundown of how to do this? Thanks for all the help!
Ed

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So would I need the clutch holding tool that was made during the pro shift kit install? Thanks for the post, was pretty much what I was looking for. Hope it takes a little less time though... Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
So would I need the clutch holding tool that was made during the pro shift kit install? Thanks for the post, was pretty much what I was looking for. Hope it takes a little less time though... Thanks,
Ed
I'm pretty sure you can do everything you need to do without the holder tool. you'd only need that if you needed to remove the basket, which if you're just doing a clutch plate replacement, you shouldn't need to do.

If you can wait, I'd recommend replacing the springs, too, as most of my clutch issues were due to worn-out springs, not worn plates. I'm using a combo of 3 barnett springs, and three OEM springs, and it's fantastic.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
If you have a 1st gen, you don't really need to pull the whole side cover or drain the coolant....just pull the clutch cover.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, ignore that last post, I got it. Put it together like it came out, and then realized I didn't get a new O-Ring with it. So I'm waitin for that to come in.. But in the mean time- I put it back together and checked to see if it'd go in nuetral and roll with the clutch held in while in gear, dry with the bike off. All worked out well except: the clutch cable is loose now. While the clutch was going out I kept tightening the cable up so its already at its max tightness.. Whatever you call that. I didnt check the clutch stack height, but I used the same amount of plates and put in new springs. What do you guys think could cause this?
Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats what I'm hoping, it makes since to replace the cable with clutch anyway, but.. didn't think they stretched much, thatd be a pretty big stretch too. Did the SV650 and SV650S have different clutches? I got it for a birthday present, and I think who ordered it may have gotten the SV650 one, I didn't think it would matter though... Anyone know if theres a difference in height between the two? Or a way to look it up? Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I got the clutch all together slack out of the cable, put it together with a new O-Ring, and it leaks oil at the top of the clutch cover... Anyone know the torque on these bolts...? I hand tightened them pretty carefully, but it seems like theres clearance at the top of the clutch cover against the engine, enough to put my fingernail in..?! Do these warm much?? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Ed

PS: Whats a good place to get an aftermarket cover, maybe a little cheaper than bike bandit...? Was thinkin I may just put a clear one on while I'm at it..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts