Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm needing a new chaing for my SV and I was curious what ya'll would recommend. I don't do any racing or stunts...just a little spirited riding from time to time. I figure something equivelent to OEM would be best. Do you know of any sites that have pretty good deals on O-ring chains?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I really like my RK GXW 520 chain:

It's holding up very well after 12,000 miles of heavy abuse. (I've really been neglecting my chain cleanings)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Cost

Hey good question. I have more:

How much on average does a new chain cost? How about when you change to the 520?

Do you order a chain for a specific bike or is it a certain length bought?

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
419 Posts
If I remember correctly, my 1st gen SV is a 110 link 525 chain. I thought the SVS was a couple links shorter. I just order a 120 link chain and remove the excess links.

I think a DID VM x-ring 525 is $85-$90, at least where I typically buy them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
those chains come as an endless chain with a little kit to make it into a loop, right?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Chains typically come with a certain number of links. They usually include a connecting link as well. If not, you'll have to buy one in addition to the chain itself.

There are two basic types of connection: rivet and clip. Rivet links are reportedly stronger and is what many chain manufacturers recommend these days. Some people have trouble with clips coming off, which can lead to your chain coming off, or worse, getting wrapped up in a sprocket. Personally, I have never lost a clip link, but many people report that they have.

Chains do not come with the tools you need to remove chain links, or to install connecting links. Some people improvise, but I bought tools from D.I.D. and Motion Pro specifically designed for this purpose. Many people take their new chains to a motorcycle shop to have them installed instead of doing it themselves. It's not something you want to do wrong.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool. I'm planning on taking it to a shop to let them install it anyway since I don't have the tools and it's really not that much money for labor...plus I'll know it's being done the right way. Is it farely easy to remove extra links? I'm wondering if they'll charge me for that...I guess I'll have to call and ask. thanks for your help, btw.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
What does the connecting/master link look like if it's a rivet type? I'm looking at one for the first time.
I bought a DID 520 VM chain and it includes a masterlink but I didn't see a clip. Plus, I don't see that there's slots on the ends of the pins of the masterlink for a clip to slide onto. Does this mean it's the rivet type?
The pins on the link I have appear to have a softer metal inside of them. Does this push out and slide over the outside when using a motorcycle chain rivet tool?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts