Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my ninja 250 an hour or so ago. I am getting my sv tomorrow but my insurance company won't be open until monday. Is there a grace period or am i screwed if I get pulled over? I have to ride it from Philly to my house (1.5 hours) and I hope that I'm legally allowed to do so. Thanks.

I would get coverage today, but I don't have the VIN and the purchase is not completely definite right now, just highly possible.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
call the seller and get the VIN so you can put insurance on today to run through the weekend. Explain to your insurance agent that you want to cover the bike for a test ride and they prob. won't even charge you to cover you with liability for a few days. You should run the VIN through carfax or something simliar before handing over any money anyway.

also, don't forget about registering it, is your DMV open on the weekend to get a new plate?

·
Registered
896 Posts
prob not, your insured or your not, im sure though if ya got pulled over the cop would be cool if you explained the situation. if ya wrecked your screwed though. Some insurance covers any vehicle your riding/driving but if ya had that im sure you would know.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess i'm just gonna put my old plate on the bike and cross my fingers for the weekend. I'm in a small town and know many cops, so I don't think I should have much trouble with that. I just need to make it home from Philly.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Don't worry about the cops, worry about the possible financial repercussions of getting into an accident uninsured.

All it takes is a phone call and you are covered on insurance, is that too much work to protect yourself?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The answer to that question is completely dependent on your location and insurance provider. In my case I called and setup the insurance from the parking lot of the dealership when I went to pick up the bike. I can't vouch for other states, but in Ohio you have to sign a document declaring you have proof of insurance. Call up your provider and explain your situation.. If you're really in a crunch you could always start a policy with another provider (assuming you decide to purchase the bike). Given any thought to switching? I'm not a fan of chancing it.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Did you cancel the coverage on your Ninja? You can just call your agent and ask. This is a little different because it was a car trade in, but I was covered for 30 days under my old policy on a new vehicle to give me proper time to get it insured. I recommend calling your agent and telling them what the deal is, likely they will cover it over the weekend for free under the terms of your policy you had for your ninja.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would echo what Rugby said above. Your concern shouldn't be cops or damaging the bike. In the very unlikely event that you are in an accident without liability insurance it could really ruin your life. I wouldn't even think about riding 1.5 hours without insurance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I called my insurance company (state farm) about a bike I was probably going to buy over the weekend, they asked for the VIN number and they went ahead and mocked up a coverage plan for me. I did not actually have the insurance policy, and was covered by my main vehicle policy but all I had to do on Monday is call them up and say, yea I got it, need to activate that bike insurance, went and picked up my temp insurance cards and stuff that afternoon.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
I sold my ninja 250 an hour or so ago. I am getting my sv tomorrow but my insurance company won't be open until monday. Is there a grace period or am i screwed if I get pulled over? I have to ride it from Philly to my house (1.5 hours) and I hope that I'm legally allowed to do so. Thanks.

I would get coverage today, but I don't have the VIN and the purchase is not completely definite right now, just highly possible.

I'm willing to bet it's a big fat no, but since I don't know your state laws, you would be best served by calling your local DMV.

If you trust the blind here, then, well, you get what's coming.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts