Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's going on forum. I recently bought a 2004 sv650s, it sat behind my job for about 5 years, had no title, Bill of sale or any owner information. I ran the vin and it showed up clean, so I bought it for $125. It had not ran in years, the throttle was sticky, brakes were frozen and the tires are shot. Cosmetically its in good shape for only a few minor scratches. I ended up getting it to run a few weekends later and ran it up and down my street several times. Now I bought a clean frame with a clean title and I'm tearing the bike apart to switch out the frames. I'm powder coating the new frame and the tail piece as well as a few other things. I'm working on making the spline sockets for the frame bolts and the steering. I have a long history with cars and I'm mechanically inclined. I've built a 96 zx9 before and had a 02 Katana, so im familiar but this is a new project. I havent found any write ups on frame swaps, so I'm diving in with a repair manual and my own knowledge. Any tips or suggestions are apreciate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
799 Posts
You got a nice one, and that price is unbeatable. One note re powdercoating the frame: some states require that the OEM frame stickers be in place for registration (the emissions one particularly). Bikes don't have to pass emissions anywhere in the country to my knowledge but this was a requirement when I plated my bikes last time I moved. I believe you can buy replacement stickers though, so just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You got a nice one, and that price is unbeatable. One note re powdercoating the frame: some states require that the OEM frame stickers be in place for registration (the emissions one particularly). Bikes don't have to pass emissions anywhere in the country to my knowledge but this was a requirement when I plated my bikes last time I moved. I believe you can buy replacement stickers though, so just something to be aware of.
The stickers just fell apart even when I applied heat to them, I'm hoping I wont need it but if I do I assume I would need to get them from a dealer?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Good luck and a great find there, wow Id say we are all jealous!

Keep us posted on the swap, would love to follow along, and this is a great group of folks, any questions you have just ask!

·
Registered
799 Posts
I think I've heard of people getting them from dealerships but a Google search will probably turn something up. I may be wrong but I think they have part numbers like anything else, you should be able to order replacements from various parts suppliers on the web.
That is, if your state even cares. I'm in California so everything is a little heightened here.
Oh, and you should powdercoat the new frame and swingarm black... it would look killer with the yellow paint!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I've heard of people getting them from dealerships but a Google search will probably turn something up. I may be wrong but I think they have part numbers like anything else, you should be able to order replacements from various parts suppliers on the web.
That is, if your state even cares. I'm in California so everything is a little heightened here.
Oh, and you should powdercoat the new frame and swingarm black... it would look killer with the yellow paint!
I'm in CT and most people doing frames don't ask me to save the stickers, just to protect the actual vin on the neck. Its going flat black, I'm debating doing the swing arm but I dont know if i want to pull all those bearings.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to SVR. You found a beautiful bike, and all stock. I am more than a bit jealous. Here is a link to Motosports and the stickers for a gen1. They should also have them for gen2. Good luck, and happy wrenching.

Suzuki OEM Motorcycle Parts | MotoSport
Thanks, I was eye balling it for years and the guy never wanted to let it go. This year he finally wanted it out, so I jumped right on it. I'm happy to have gotten it after all this time. Thanks for the link, I checked it out but haven't looked for the stickers yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Since my last post, I've put in some minor work. I'm very limited on time but its slowly moving along. I've removed the main wiring harness, got all the necessary wires out of the way, a few will stay with the motor as they connect somewhere under covers that im not going to remove. Coolant and radiator is out, i've made 2 out of 4 sockets for the frame and the main stem. Upon inspection, it seems that I will need a new chain. There are no interlocking pins and I can see where they mushroomed the links together and I can see some plastic sticking out between a few links. I'm also planing to build a cradle to sit on my floor jack so i can remover the motor. I thought to remove the rear exhaust manifold but i think i will clear it if I move the motor forward a few inches.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

All in pieces, need a tool to remove the front wheel from the fork and a tool to remove the frame from the swing arm.

H12 on the swing arm and H19 for the front wheel.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
523 Posts
Looking good Spoofman! I did not know you needed a special tool to remove the front wheel. I wonder if that is the case with a gen1. I've not yet attempted it. Also, I'd like to see the cradle you build for removing the engine. Any pics?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looking good Spoofman! I did not know you needed a special tool to remove the front wheel. I wonder if that is the case with a gen1. I've not yet attempted it. Also, I'd like to see the cradle you build for removing the engine. Any pics?
Thanks, I feel like I'm going to get it finished as summer is over. I dont think its a special tool really, just an oversize Allen key that I didnt really have. As far as the cradle, its just some wood with 1" pieces to make a pocket. This is best I can do for pic at this moment.

I just used my floor jack to drop and roll it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice. I'd like to build one so I can lift my bike with the floor jack. With the front pipe running under the bike, it's hard to jack.
I didnt see a way of taking the engine out without removing the whole exhaust. The rear exhaust manifold was the only part of the exhaust I left on the engine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I finally found time to put it all back together, at this point she just need fluids, balance beads and air.

I would love to find a set of lower fairings for it but I'm hesitant get them used with everyone asking money up front. Maybe I will just bite the bullet and buy new ones from eBay.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looking sharp, good to see the frame swap went well. Are the rear sets powder coated or painted?
Thanks, it was a long time coming. I powder coated them when I had them off, I tried to powder coat as much of the bike as I could while it was apart. I had a hard time trying to match the original paint so I did most of the stuff flat black.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Nice, they look sharp but all I could think of was how bad they would look after one ride and the paint rubbing off on your boots :LOL:, I'm glad they're powder coated.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts