Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
Just picked up a used 2002 sv650 yesterday. The bike only has 2400 miles on it, and it has sat for nearly 2 years. Paid $2150 for it.

The previous owner had dropped it several times, but the last drop seemed to have convinced him to give up riding. The tank is dented, but inside is clean. The forks also appear to be very slightly bent, along with a ding on the front rim. There are some other small injuries, sligthly bent rear brake pedal and shifter, cluster scratched, etc. Nothing major except the tank and the forks. The bike was garaged. It has a two brothers pipe on it (a little bonus). The carbs are messed up as the bike will only idle with the choke on (slow jets must be clogged).

Here are some pics:

I'm going to repair and repaint, or replace the tank. If I can find a black tank in good condition I would buy it. New prices for the tank are near $500 from suzuki, so I don't think I'd go that route.

Question about the forks. Since they are just slightly bent, are they repairable, or would it be easier (cheaper) to buy a used set and just replace them?

Do you think I paid too much?

Hopefully I'll get it on the road soon.
Mikemo

·
Registered
653 Posts
Welcome to the SV. Generally bent forks can not be repaired and you can get a used replacement set for less money and hassle.

I have a complete front end in very good condition off of a 99SV I'm looking to sell. If you're interested, PM me.

·
Registered
505 Posts
That was a good deal, I would have bought it for that. The upper tubes can be swapped on the forks, we've got a whole pile of them at the shop. Might as well get them set up with correct springs, oil, emulators, etc. while you're at it! ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thejimdaddy said:
are you sure they are bent and not tweaked in the triples?, try to loosen the front and retighten it and recheck them
Yeah, you can see if you look straight down the forks that they are both bent back towards the engine. I used a straight edge down the side to make sure. They are only bent a few degrees. It is hard to see without looking really close (can you tell from the pictures?).

Thanks
Mikemo

·
Registered
25 Posts
Man, that was not a bad deal at all. I would get the forks reworked as long as you have them off. Forget about the tank for a while and just ride it. Heck, all things repaired, your still looking at a pretty much new SV fro under $3000.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback guys.
I found a guy here on svrider that sold me a good front rim at a decent price, so the front wheel is as good as fixed. I found a place online up in MN (I think) that will straighten the fork tubes for $25 each. I didn't think that was too bad. A local bike shop wanted $45 each, and by the looks of his shop I think he was going to hit them with a hammer until straight ;D

I have the tank and airbox off, but haven't had a chance this week to pull the carbs. The bike ran and idled fine with the choke on, but would die with the choke off. Hopefully with a good carb cleaning I'll be on the road.

I haven't found anyone with a black tank for sale. I found one on Ebay but the guy is in the UK and shipping alone is almost $150. YIKES. New tanks can be had from ronayers.com at about $370. I'd hate to spend that much, but we'll see where the bike ends up.

Thanks again
Mikemo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts