Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, bike wouldn't start so I figured it was just a dead battery. Bought a new one and it still won't turn over. When I turn the key I can hear it prime, but when I press the starter the lights just dim. No clicking, puttering or anything. Now I don't know where to turn. Could it just be a bad starter? A faulty kickstand or kill switch? Just tryin to get some ideas before I take it to a shop...

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
It helps to have a multimeter to test voltage at the battery. Was the new battery fully charged off the bike before installation? You can with a car battery or your new battery with jumper cables, go directly to the starter motor lug and see if it spins. Have the bike in neutral of course. You don't need the ignition on. If the starter motor is okay, then move to the starter relay under the seat. Check to make sure the 30A fuse is okay. There are two, one is a spare. Check your clutch switch. The motor will not crank if the switch is faulty or not connected. The kickstand switch will allow the motor to crank but not start because it interrupts the power to the coils. The clutch switch interrupts power to the starter. If you do have a meter, you can check for power when the start button is pressed at the top connector of the starter relay and also at the start button as well. You can jump the starter relay by using a screwdriver across the two exterior terminals to see if the starter motor spins as another test for the starter motor. Check all fuses, connections at the battery and the switches. If you have power at the start button, kill switch when off and at the relay connector, then maybe the relay is bad. Could be any component in the starter circuit, loose ground, etc.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
7k miles on the bike. And nothing has been altered other than the day before I left it parked for two weeks the entire shift pedal assembly fell off on the highway. I screwed it back in though and ran fine the rest of the day...

And the new batter was fully charged.
RMAN, I will run through your checklist when I get off work. Hopefully it will be as simple as replacing a fuse.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Since I'm a bit more novice in repairs than RMAN, I would suggest also the very simplistic things: having the bike in neutral and check the clutch lever to make sure it's not too loose/tight.

It sounds like it's in the clutch somewhere for sure. If not in the lever, I agree with RMAN about the kick stand switch.

Good luck!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After about an hour of fiddling around the bike this morning, I am happy to report the problem was simply a loose AND dirty clutch connector under the lever! Pulled it off and cleaned/brushed it up and it started right away!! Thanks everyone for your help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts