Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
no such thing as a dumb question? i'll call your bluff.

i bought a new yt12a-bs. this is my first bike, and i don't work on cars. i asked a lot of questions, and the guy at the shop said the battery came about 75% charged, but when he brought it out, he was surprised it wasn't prefilled with acid. so...

can a new battery without acid be 75% precharged from the manufacturer?

hey, i'm mechanically retarded and slept through chemistry. besides, it's really aschendel's question:D. and either way, it's sitting on the battery tender over night.

·
Registered
476 Posts
No acid = No charge...right?!?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
no charge without acid. without acid it's a 5lb paperweight on your bike, but it won't run haha.

take it back to the dealer and tell them to fill it with acid.

·
Registered
96 Posts
usually they come with an acid pack that you have to puncture on the battery upside down to fill the battery up with acid. This is for shipping reasons. Did it come with a little plastic package the size of like a sunglass case by chance?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh, i left that part out. it did come with acid, i filled it, but still had the question. just general trivia, i guess.

·
Registered
96 Posts
it will inherently have some charge, i doubt 75% though. Just charge up the battery over night and you will be golden

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Yep, my old bike had an unsealed battery with caps. You had to remove the caps and fill each cell up with the correct amount of acid. It will have some charge once you do this but it is best to trickle charge it overnight - the battery should have come with some instructions that included the charge rate and duration for that charge. And don't overfill the cells - there should be an indicator on the side of the battery.

·
Registered
476 Posts
LOL, he wasn't looking for advice. He was trying to disprove that the battery came 75% charged w/o any acid in it. ;D

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Just pouring the acid iin it will have considerable charge; 75% sounds right. However, it is not good for the battery to use it without fully charging it.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
LOL, he wasn't looking for advice. He was trying to disprove that the battery came 75% charged w/o any acid in it. ;D
If he isn't familiar with how unfilled batteries are supposed to be used, he may not be familiar if it was done the right way. Doesn't sound like the sales guy was either so I was just trying to add a little insight.

Don't worry, if you ever post up and sound clueless about something, I'll keep my thoughts to myself ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just pouring the acid iin it will have considerable charge; 75% sounds right. However, it is not good for the battery to use it without fully charging it.
Fresh acid in a fresh battery had enough juice to start up my SV. I just had to take a couple hour ride afterward to make sure it was fully charged up.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Fresh acid in a fresh battery had enough juice to start up my SV. I just had to take a couple hour ride afterward to make sure it was fully charged up.
From what I know, the electrical system on the SV is NOT designed to charge a motorcycle battery (nor is any motorcycle electrical system, IIRC). I first learned of this the hard way.

·
Registered
98 Posts
From what I know, the electrical system on the SV is NOT designed to charge a motorcycle battery (nor is any motorcycle electrical system, IIRC). I first learned of this the hard way.
If the SV couldn't charge a battery, your battery would be dead about once every month or so due to natural discharging of lead-acid batteries. Although the SV might not be able to charge a battery quickly (or at all at idle), it'll do the job but will take a while.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hmm... Perhaps my information only pertains to a dead battery?

andyauger said:
The alternator and charging circuits can be damaged just by running with a dead battery. The charging system is trying to supply the bike's electrical needs plus charge a dead battery. It isn't designed to do that. You shouldn't ride with a dead battery. If it's a bit low the system may be able to supply the needed current.
ziptech800 said:
The problem with fixed-magnet 3-phase systems on most bikes, is that it was never designed to charge a battery. It is only there to maintain battery charge, not get to the level of charge to revive a dying one. Take into account the 1gen's bean-counter-designed system, and you can quickly burn out an r/r with a weak battery. This is one reason I say never to bump-start them unless it's to go to get fixed.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Hmm... Perhaps my information only pertains to a dead battery?
The bike will charge it, just not particularly quickly. The statement that it is "not designed to..." is more or less true in the sense that it is barely able to (and not at all at idle) yet it will, slowly.
OTOH, YUASA insists that you put their batteries on a high-rate charger after the acid is added until it is fully charged.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts