Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had these bars sitting in my garage for over a year now, and thought I'd throw them on and see how they worked. They're Spiegler Superbike bars, and they have a slightly different bend than the stockers. They are SIGNIFICANTLY wider than stock (3-4" from end-to-end), so the throttle cables would not reach. I didn't want to wait, so I cut off about 1.25" from each end of the bars. They're still 1-1.5" wider than the stockers, so they're now about as wide as the SM2's I had on there. I definitely prefer the seating position now, but I haven't had the bike out more than just a quick trip around the block.

As far as the install goes, it went fairly easy after the bar was cut down to size. I did choose to drill the control mounting holes as opposed to shaving them off. The excess length of the bars went to good use, though, as I now have cool aluminum tank spacers instead of the ghetto-fab spacers I was using (anyone who knows me will know what I mean). Here's a couple picks I took just before my camera batteries died:

I'm really liking the looks of the black bar, especially since I've been systematically blacking-out choice parts of my bike. It should be much nicer for long cruises again, but I wonder how much feel I'm going to lose in the twisties. We'll see.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had some spacers before, but yeah, I rejetted last year. Catpoopman special from the tips & tricks section. 152.5 mains, 17.5 pilots, 2 shims, 2.5 turns A/F, desnorkeled filter, and raised tank. The new spacers are 5/8", and give just enough clearance to not interfere with the upper triple clamp.

As far as the ride goes, I took it out tonight for a trial run. I forgot how hooligan the upright seating position feels. It's awesome. Low speed manuevers are much easier. It feels like a bicycle again, and I'm bolt upright. I think I'll leave it this way for a while.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Good post on how the changed seating position is. I just picked up some Bikemaster Daytonas but I'm waiting to get some longer brake lines to put them on, replacing a set of SM1's.

·
Registered
432 Posts
That bar looks great. I had a drag bar for about a week and it sucked. Now I've got an SM2 bar and love it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The SM Type 2 is about .5" narrower than the stock bar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts