Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 SV650sf 4,000 miles

Got my 2009 SV650sf and looking to upgrade the front forks and was wondering what would be best. It tops off around 130 ish and i would just like to feel a little safer when I get into the turns. I was thinking about installing a new sprocket kit to increase the top end and installing a R6 throttle tube to help correct the loss of acceleration from the Sprocket. IF there are any thoughts on this I would really appreciate it. I already have a Slip-on exhaust and frame sliders. Changed out the front blinkers and will install the tail eliminator when it comes in.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
R6 throttle tube will not affect acceleration, only the amount of twist you need to make to get to WOT.

For the forks, check out sonicsprings.com and get some new heavier springs and oil.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Pardon me? You're new at this whole thing?

This riding motorcycles thing?
Or riding motorcycles very fast thing?
Or your understanding of what the throttle tube will do thing?
Are you riding at 130mph or 130 kph?
Are you riding these speeds on the street or on a track?

·
Registered
661 Posts
When you're doing your top speed runs and taking turns at 130mph make sure you're only wearing shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops. The extra weight of gear only slows you down.

To answer your question, springs for your weight (Sonic or RaceTech) plus new fork oil is a start. An R6 Throttle tube only lets you get to wot in one motion, no perfomance difference necessarily. If you really need more than 130mph you need to get a different bike. The 650 runs out of steam that high. A stock SV1000 with slipons and +2 rear sprocket will do 159mph at redline in 6th coming down the hill at Road Atlanta towards T10.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Don't necessarily need a sprocket "kit".

Get a 16 tooth front sprocket which will drop your RPM's about 550.

It'll allow you to go about 8mph faster at the same RPM. Helps out for cruising at faster speeds, but no matter what you do, 130ish is about the limit for the SV650.

Front sprocket should be under $25. With only 4k miles on the bike, you should be ok just replacing the front sprocket.

Front forks: start with springs and oil. Can be done under $120. If you need more help, emulators or intimators can be added.

·
Registered
243 Posts
When you're doing your top speed runs and taking turns at 130mph make sure you're only wearing shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops.
Flip flops are dangerous. I'm pretty sure we came to the consensus that white tennis shoes are on par with protective boots though. Watch out for the dreaded black marks from the shifter!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Isn't there something in the owner's manual about this? It's got every thing else in it... warm-up procedure, octane suggestions, wiping front to back... :vroom:

·
Registered
905 Posts
2009 SV650sf 4,000 miles

Got my 2009 SV650sf and looking to upgrade the front forks and was wondering what would be best. It tops off around 130 ish and i would just like to feel a little safer when I get into the turns. I was thinking about installing a new sprocket kit to increase the top end and installing a R6 throttle tube to help correct the loss of acceleration from the Sprocket. IF there are any thoughts on this I would really appreciate it. I already have a Slip-on exhaust and frame sliders. Changed out the front blinkers and will install the tail eliminator when it comes in.
You're going to need to elaborate to avoid the pitch-fork bearing crowd here.
The SV650's sixth gear is right about where the bike's HP can take it. Taking away the gearing limitation, I believe the bike will be drag limited to just below 140mph in favorable conditions.

Now ask yourself this question, and think about the answer: How would using a different throttle tube 'correct the loss of acceleration' when going for tall gearing?

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Spend your money on an advanced riding course like Total Control, it will do far more for your confidence than any suspension upgrades. Avoid riding at the limits until you learn to ride well and you will be able to ride better and more confidently, even on the stock suspension, than a less skilled rider on fancy suspenders.

If you weigh a lot more than 150 lbs the stock springs are softer than many prefer so upgrades are common. Some people recommend that an upgraded suspension is more confidence inspiring and safer for a newb than the stock suspension and that may be true under some conditions, even when it is a placebo effect, but a much greater benefit IMHO can be obtained by learning to ride really well first and that is completely possible with the stock suspension.

·
Registered
731 Posts
2009 SV650sf 4,000 miles

I would think a quicker throttle would be detrimental to a beginner.
I'd just leave the bike the way it is..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts