Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I recently got my sv650 gen 2 back from sitting in my dad's shop for about 3 years has been taken pretty good care of but, now after taking my fuel pump out after my bike only half started. I saw that my thermister was done, also I got a new fuel pump motor, seeing I don't have 180.00+ for a new thermister the question is do I need one?????

·
Super Moderator
9,174 Posts
Welcome to SVRider, Mr.Big.

You only need the terminator if you want the fuel gauge to work.

You can by used SV thermistors on eBay. Currently I do not see any SVGen2 thermistors for sale but there are a few thermistor stalks for gen1 which will work but you will have to unsolder them from the gen1 mount and re-solder to your gen2 fitting. $50 for the gen1 part gives you two thermistors, so $25 each. Much better than the $180 for new. I did this a few years ago when my fuel light failed. Worked great.

Reactions: Geo Smith

·
Super Moderator
9,174 Posts
Here is the thermistor swap photo. The gen1 donor thermistor stalk is below. The gen2 thermistor stalk above. Yeah, $180 for that little can is steep.
Wood Hand tool Walking shoe Metalworking hand tool Hardwood

You will need a higher wattage solder gun, like 140W, to melt the solder where the thermistor mounts to the stalk. Common low-watt solder irons, like 25W or 40W, will not have enough heat since the metal stalk acts as a heat sink.

Just for fun, this is what the inside of the thermistor looks like, postmortem. : -)
Household hardware Gas Auto part Nickel Metal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts