Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, and even 3rd to 4th is really hard. Is this normal for a new bike, or the nature of an SV? I still have yet to put the first 600mi and go for the first servicing, I'm at 300mi.

Thanks,

~DR

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
linkages are tight, your breakin in more than the engine the first few hundreds miles, make sure the position of the shifter is adjusted for your errgonomics

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ASCSurveyor said:
I know it sounds stupid, but make sure you're using the clutch.  Some people have a unconscious tendency to not pull in the clutch when shifting up.  That was my problem.
Good thing to say, but I am using my clutch. So far this shifting problem is the only thing I don't like about the bike, other than that it's a blast and runs awesome, and I'm getting lots of complements on it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had the same problem when I first got mine. The trouble went away after about the 200 mile mark and hasn't come back since.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
My bike would go into a false neutral.

Bring it to the dealer at the 600 mile checkup, have them go for a ride with it.
Document it! My bike did not do it on the 600 mile checkup but on the 3000 oil change I insisted they take it for a ride and it did it to them. It is documented and should warrantiee issues come up, I am covered!

·
Registered
629 Posts
I hear changing to a synthetic oil (worked on my buddy's gsxr1000) eliminated his shifting problems. Don't change to synthetic until fully broke in like over 3000miles though.

My bike has trouble sometimes also. Another bad habit is people will upshift and not realize their foot is still partially holding the gear shift lever up and never allows it to fully drop back down. I found that was some of my problem and that if I do a upshift and let it slap back down under it's own force and not let my foot slow it down it will upshift into the next gear just fine. Also pulling the clutch fully in and then giving a firm upshift will halp also. You may be pulling the clutch in but it may be a split second after you are upshifting.

Try those theories out and see if that helps. Mine seems to be better after 750miles or I have learned how to shift it the way it likes...one of the two.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input I'll give your suggestions a try, and call the dealer.  It's proably normal for a new bike, and I bet the synth oil in the future will make a difference.

~DR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts