Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my NR bags a few months back and I'm having a bit of an issue with one of them.

As you know, the rear plastics on the 2nd gen are pretty curvy, and the right side has pushed itself into the side of the bag enough so that it's hard to unzip and pack it. I'm usually using one hand so I have to put everything down in order to use it. For this reason I usually only use the left side bag.

My question is, do you guys think this is my fault, or do you think it should be covered under their lifetime warranty? Before you say it jb, yes I know, I can call or email them, I'm just curious to know if anyone else has used their warranty.

Btw, I keep the bags on the bike nearly all of the time, and I'm not sure if they are designed for that, but nothing says you shouldn't.

They've also faded pretty badly from the sun. When you move one of the handles you can see how faded they have become. That doesn't bother me at all though. Just thought I'd mention it in case someone comes across this.

There is little room left in the bag and it's a pita to use. What would you do?

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
I usually have my bags off when packing them. I also don't leave them on at all times. That would be the cause of the fading. As far as packing them, it would prolly be easier off the bike.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
What would I do? Wow, you really set yourself up to be the fool this time, even admitting it. Yes, I've used their warranty...after a fashion. I broke something and they sent me a replacement for free when I called to ask where I could buy it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
How bad is it pushed in that you can't use it? Have any pictures? IMO that is probably just wear and tear from the sun always on it and deforming it, but I have called NR before, and they are pretty helpful.

I have a half cover that I use for work every day from them, the rainproof strip on the seams started peeling off, I called them and asked about it (within the one year cover warranty). They said send it in and they would send me a new one. I never did, I use the thing every day at work, didn't want to be without a cover, and don't ride in the rain anyway. They were still helpful though.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Maybe it's just the type of bag that you bought and not a defect. Some bags hold their shape while empty because of a stiff inner lining and others are soft and will deform. I don't know which model you have, but if the bag is supposed to hold its full volume shape while empty, then you have an issue with NR, otherwise you don't.

·
Registered
661 Posts
fwiw I've got a set of Cortech's sport saddlebags that, I believe, are somewhat similar. I've had mine for several years now and they hold their shape when empty. On the SV, they pushed in pretty good when I cinched them tight to the bike. When I loaded them up, it could be difficult to zip them shut, but often that was from trying to fit too much stuff in them.

My matching sport tailbag is also fading in spots as I use it a lot more regularly. However, I've been using this luggage since 2008 and on three different bikes.

Based on your description, it doesn't sound there is a product defect going on there, so a warranty replacement may not be due. However, if NR has a lifetime guarantee on their products, it may be in their best interest to replace your stuff anyway. They cater specifically to motorcyclists so appeasing the occasional warranty inquiry would be a smart move on their part.

Let us know what you decide to do and the outcome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my NR bags a few months back and I'm having a bit of an issue with one of them.

As you know, the rear plastics on the 2nd gen are pretty curvy, and the right side has pushed itself into the side of the bag enough so that it's hard to unzip and pack it. I'm usually using one hand so I have to put everything down in order to use it. For this reason I usually only use the left side bag.

My question is, do you guys think this is my fault, or do you think it should be covered under their lifetime warranty? Before you say it jb, yes I know, I can call or email them, I'm just curious to know if anyone else has used their warranty.

Btw, I keep the bags on the bike nearly all of the time, and I'm not sure if they are designed for that, but nothing says you shouldn't.

They've also faded pretty badly from the sun. When you move one of the handles you can see how faded they have become. That doesn't bother me at all though. Just thought I'd mention it in case someone comes across this.

There is little room left in the bag and it's a pita to use. What would you do?
Sorry to hear about the issue your having with our saddle bags. We would be happy to look further into this and honor our warranty if needed. Please contact us directly via phone 714 850 1811 or email [email protected] to begin the process. Photos would be a great help. Either way this is definitely not an issue we have come across before and we will stand behind our products and warranty. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The last but of luggage I need to buy is a tailbag. After reading this thread, it will be made by nelson rigg.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The last but of luggage I need to buy is a tailbag. After reading this thread, it will be made by nelson rigg.
I have their tail tote/duffel bag and magnetic tank bag and not one bad thing to say, i would easily buy more of their product if needed. They're customer service is amazing, and heard it on alot of sites.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to hear about the issue your having with our saddle bags. We would be happy to look further into this and honor our warranty if needed. Please contact us directly via phone 714 850 1811 or email [email protected] to begin the process. Photos would be a great help. Either way this is definitely not an issue we have come across before and we will stand behind our products and warranty. Thanks in advance.
Wow, a direct response was about the last thing I expected. On the other hand I guess I shouldn't be too surprised as I've read that your service is above standard.

I'll give you a shout. :)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Direct response by a rep to your thread is pretty good.

My tail bag is getting old, bout time for a replacement. I'll be checking out some of the NR CL offerings I reckon.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nelson-Rigg is a class act. I have one of their bike covers and when the original had a defect, they replaced it, no hassle, just responsive customer service.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Wow, i'm impressed they responded on here. I've got saddlebags, tailbag, bike cover, and just got a rainsuit, all branded Nelson-Rigg. They have good quality products, and as they just proved again, great customer service. I will definitely keep my business with them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That is pretty good customer service, great touch!

Now the real question is, how do I get a moto gear company to pay me to lurk on forums to bail ppl out on customer service issues?!? I'd be all about that gig!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
That is pretty good customer service, great touch!

Now the real question is, how do I get a moto gear company to pay me to lurk on forums to bail ppl out on customer service issues?!? I'd be all about that gig!!
It's called market research. I have seen reps from other manufacturers/distributors that are active on user forums. It's good business practice, and much appreciated by their customers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts