Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Burgman 650 that I love and I have spent way too much money on to get the suspension to work properly.

Great bike/scooter with the absolute worst suspension I have every ridden.

Right now I'm running Racetech Gold valve emulators with RT springs in the front and RT G3 Custom shocks on the rear. The rear is great now but the front is still lacking. I disassembled the forks again. Advertised with 4" of travel, which is bad. They only have 2.5" of actual travel. the 1.5" extra comes from the compression of the rebound spring so it is really unusable. After a bunch of reading and parts schematic surfing it seems that the sv damping rods maybe similar in size but longer. I'm real close to getting new rods machined but in a longer length to allow a bit more travel, in hopes that the harshness will be reduced. I don't want to spend a small fortune on one off parts if another off the shelf part will just drop in. You can only do so much emulator adjusting on 2.5 inches of travel.

Longer damping rods is a very common mod for increasing fork travel. My G3 rear shocks make the back sit a bit higher so a little longer fork would balance that out. I could also slide them in the triple clamps to get the geometry correct as well.

So do any of you have a set of rods that you can measure or sell me?

Let me know what you have.

These are pics of stock burgman rods that are undrilled for the emulators. These look very much like sv rods.
Finger Gadget Nickel Aluminium Auto part
I thought someone may say it still rides harsh because the compression holes weren't opened up.
Eye Cosmetics Metal Font Cylinder

·
Registered
600 Posts
overall length 211 mm
diameter of top 34 mm
diameter of rod 20 mm
(sorry I don't know which are compression and rebound holes, duh!)
small hole at top, SV650 has only one
larger holes at bottom, SV650 appears to be larger than yours

Wood Gas Artifact Ceiling Metal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update. I found that the sv650 Damping Rod is the incorrect Diameter on the rod section. The Fork size is correct but not the rod. I'm getting new rods machined. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
You can always shorten the top out spring. If you really have 1.5" of travel in that spring I'd just cut it in half and heat and bend the end flat.
On machining new rods, just be aware that you'll have less overlap between fork tube and slider at full extension. I'd be quite cautious on how far I went with that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts