Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some body tell me which are the lightest headers with the biggest flow?
I know Hindle, Bos, Yoshimura and Arrow sells headers, but they are all stainless steel as far as i know, and i don`t know if the diameter of the pipes is bigger.
Hope someone knows more.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
WRP make an all-titanium system with headers that you could drive a train down... Hard to find though. AFAIK I've got the only one in the UK, and I've only ever seen one other SV with the system on on this site.

It basically weighs nothing :) The entire system including hangers and bolts weighs less than the headers (to the point where you cut for a slip-on) of the stock syste weighs in total.

I don't know how it compares in efficiency terms with the other systems though... The collector seems a little cruder than on some other systems.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Northwind said:
WRP make an all-titanium system with headers that you could drive a train down... Hard to find though. AFAIK I've got the only one in the UK, and I've only ever seen one other SV with the system on on this site.

It basically weighs nothing :) The entire system including hangers and bolts weighs less than the headers (to the point where you cut for a slip-on) of the stock syste weighs in total.

I don't know how it compares in efficiency terms with the other systems though... The collector seems a little cruder than on some other systems.
those pipes came with my bike. The header/collector looks like it belongs on a 2L rune, not a 650 :) The pipes are huge, and the bends look more free flowing than my hindle did
I checked for a replacement can, and they are no longer available in Canada. I don't know if they are available in the states.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
m4 makes titanium headers right?

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Metcalfe said:
I checked for a replacement can, and they are no longer available in Canada. I don't know if they are available in the states.
Funnilly enough, when I was looking at buying the system (on Ebay) I had my doubts that it was a genuine article- the photos weren't too good and practically nobody had heard of them. So I emailed WRP themselves, and they said "Nope, we've never made a system for the SV..." I emailed them back some images once it arrived and they basically said "Stone the crows! Maybe we did!"

So I wouldn't hold out any hopes of finding spares ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Northwind said:
Metcalfe said:
Funnilly enough, when I was looking at buying the system (on Ebay) I had my doubts that it was a genuine article- the photos weren't too good and practically nobody had heard of them. So I emailed WRP themselves, and they said "Nope, we've never made a system for the SV..." I emailed them back some images once it arrived and they basically said "Stone the crows! Maybe we did!"

So I wouldn't hold out any hopes of finding spares ;)
That's strange. Must have been a small production run.
The can definately said wrp on it, and I don't now of any other manufacturer with pipes that large, so I doubt any other collector would work with the wrp can.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
To be honest, I've got the WRP can in bits at the moment (fitting a removable baffle so that it'll be road legal in the UK) and internally it's exactly the same as everyone else's cans. I reckon as long as you find one with the same oval, you could fit just about anything onto the end of the headers- but you'd need to use the welded-in end cap. And visa versa for that matter.

I think they basically did a production prototype run and then dropped them. Shame, because they're damn good :) But now they just seem to do a few big sportsbikes and a load of supermotos.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And has anyone experience with the Arrow or Hindle headers?

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are asking for the lightest headers, you do NOT need them.

If you are worried about weight, drop 5#. Any aftermarket pipe will be lighter than stock. WHY are you focused on a super light exhaust?

You would be looking for a Ti system, and super light = $$$$$. You are clearly a privateer, and you need to concentrate on NOT reinventing the wheel, but just putting together a competitive bike that is cost effective, and plan on crashing. You need a bike as close to stock as you can keep it (= reliability and less $$), so you can focus FIRSDT on track time, than SECOND on learning proper suspension and tire set-up. Even if you are VERY good, if you are competitive, you will be pushing it, so you WILL crash, the question is how often and how badly. If you find some 1-off exhaust, you will be fucked after your first crash.

Balanced selection of parts, good jetting, good suspension set-up, good brakes (properly bled brakes!), good tire selection with the right pressure, etc. --- THESE are the tings that can make you faster, not a bunch of 'super light' parts.

Keep you eye on the prize dude!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Jarel had a Ti Hindle snap off at the collector during a race, it got real loud. ;D

We both have the Euro Spec Mini Twins homolgation special systems from Arrow in Ti. They are light and seem very strong. I have a Gianelli can on mine but they are the same exhaust system.

Akropovic makes a full Ti system.

M4 system has thin stainless header pipes with Ti mid and end can. It is very light and strong. This is probably the best bang for the money. I recommend the 2/3 Ti M4 system. Kris & Chad run them run them on their race bikes.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I don't know if they make a set up for a SV, but I'll tell ya what..the Ti Force full system I just took off my track bike is the lightest system I have seen. I kid you not, the entire system, with can, can't weight more than 4 lbs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts