Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a little clueless when it come to bike suspensions, how to adjust them, mod them, anything. So I thought maybe you could all help me out. I'm about 200lbs and only ride street, no track. Right now the suspensions feels particularly jarring. Any suggestions on getting it dialed in?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Oh boy, you've started something now!!!!

There's hundreds of opinions here, and many hundreds of pages in dozens of threads, about suspension.

I emailed Rich Desmond at Sonic Springs - a site sponsor who has many satisfied customers here, & he hooked me up with just the right springs & fork oil for me.

And I called Rick at Cogent Dynamics and am getting a rear shock & spring built just for me. There's a Group Buy going on now for Cogent suspension products & the prices are great. Rick also does front suspension so you could get your fork set-up advice there, too.

Both these guys are great.

You can learn a lot by searching here. I did, then I called those guys.

Can't wait 'til my new Cogent shock gets here!

If you need links, post it here or PM me.

Or follow some of the other advice you're bound to get !!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen a lot on here about suspension setups as well, I just didn't know if there was a difference between the 1k and the 650 stock suspension, and what those differences were. Basically, just so I know where to start.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
SV1000 & SV650 have different suspensions.
I would call either one of those guys for free advice. They'll find out exactly what your concerns are & know how to address them. Neither one will steer you wrong. They're both experts, and honest. And there are probably lots of others.
You'll find lots of good and bad advice searching this website. It's free to look, though.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a Group Buy going on now for Cogent suspension products & the prices are great.
Where's this group buy taking place? I'm always down to drop more dough.

·
Registered
437 Posts
So I'm a little clueless when it come to bike suspensions, how to adjust them, mod them, anything. So I thought maybe you could all help me out. I'm about 200lbs and only ride street, no track. Right now the suspensions feels particularly jarring. Any suggestions on getting it dialed in?
PM me an e-mail address and I'll send you a copy of "Suspension 101".
A must have for beginner basics.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
^^^ good advice. You'll learn that most basic step is setting "sag" - that is, how far front and rear compress with your weight on the bike. You'll want help measuring. You adjust it to the proper amount with front & rear preload adjusters. I'll leave it to you to look up the numbers.
Then you adjust damping - if you have damping adjusters - to work well at those settings.
If you're still not happy then it's time to spend some money.
Sorry, this should have been my first response.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys, I'll definitely be calling those two gentleman to help me out when it comes time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts