Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

So here is my story (I dont want to rewrite it, its originally from another forum). Anyways all of this happened due to my procrastination. Never again!

BTW. A little update on this. Before I say anything I want to clarify that I am only posting this so others can possibly learn from my slacking (haha that goes with the chain thing).

I put the wheel all the way back and decided that it is all I can really do.

Next day I went on my mary way to the docwong riding clinic. (Pretty sweet btw except it felt like it was bad carma day or something: 2 riders down but no one got hurt, another guy's monster decided to run on one cylinder after he put gas in it  , and well... me).

I was riding in group 2 (intermediate?) and the pace was awesome, the roads were even better and I felt like the pace was perfect. Well going through one of the corners my procrastination came back to bite me in the ass. My chain came off at about 45-50 mph in the turn. I pull over and try to put it back on. All of a sudden I realize it is much shorter. I take off the front sprocket cover and find the chain badly jammed between the crank case, front sprocket and the clutch rod (the one right in front of the front sprocket). With some help (thanks alot guys) I get the chain loose and put it back on the rear sprocket. (Also at this time we learn of the two guys who went down a bit further ahead.) Anyways Everything seems fine but I notice that I am leaking oil... Not too bad but its still dripping. We decide to get to the nearest town. There I get a quart of oil and we meet up with the guy on the monster! He is apperantly having trouble of his own. To make a long story short I rode all the way back (at a VERY conservetive pace) to Fremont with my oil just dripping away. The worst part was that it was getting on the tires and obviosly making riding that much more dangerous. Also it was getting on the pipe and creating all this white smoke so all the cars around me looked at me like I am crazy and some pointed it out to me to which I just nodded signaling that I know about the problem.

Wow thats a bit long. Basically I got home and took a second look at the front sproket. Before I thought that the crank case was cracked when the chain came off. Now I learned that the transmission rod has been bent and that caused the oil to leak. BTW when I got home the oil went down from max to low but still acceptable level.

Anyways I hope the people that read this will learn from my mistakes. Now I need to replace the sprockets and chain + figure out the transmission...

About that... Can I just bend it back or do I have to replace it? Can I replace just the rod? I would really hate to find out I have to invest in a new transmission  or something along those lines.

Thanks everyone for your help.
So from what I understand all I need to replace is the clutch actuator pushrod and maybe the washer. There are some pics below of the bent rod that I took this morning.

So here is what I am thinking of getting:

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0305/clutch/clutch.cfm

#15 (push rod) and #23 (seal). Is that all I need or do I have to get something else? How dificult is it to replace the seal and rod? seems pretty easy but I might be mistaken.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I don't know what else you might need to replace. But, I will say that replacing the pushrod alone is easy as pie. Don't know about replacing the washer.

But, be glad your chain didn't dig a hole into the engine case. Would be just a tad bit more expensive, methinks!  ;D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was what I thought originally but when I got home I cleaned it up a bit and realized that the pishrod is bent in pretty bad. Then I thought WOW this might be either VERY expensive or very cheap. Thank god its cheap. Any other input before I put in the order for just the pushrod?

T

·
0 Posts
nicrotank said:
That was what I thought originally but when I got home I cleaned it up a bit and realized that the pishrod is bent in pretty bad. Then I thought WOW this might be either VERY expensive or very cheap. Thank god its cheap. Any other input before I put in the order for just the pushrod?
all you need is rod and seal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the seal really easy too or will I have to take the transmission apart?

Also I just want to make sure, I am going to have to drain the oil right?

Is it ok to drain oil and then poor it back in? (I did the oil and filter change about 500 miles ago)

Thanks alot everyone.

T

·
0 Posts
take rod out,just pull it,nothing holds it in.pry seal out with screwdriver or dental hook.push new seal in by hand.smear grease over new rod and slide it in.that is all.
you dont need to drain oil.just dont do it on side stand,lean bike on other side against wall o on stand if you have one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok cool, I am putting in the order at ronayers. Man I don't like their shipping (its only a small rod and washer but its the same $8 for a set of tires ???)

T

·
0 Posts
buy set of tires and tell them to tape rod to tire :)
I dont think you can ship set of tires across country for $8 so they must give breake on that one.
$3.85 priority mail works good for little stuff,I wonder why they dont use it.
or maybe they charge handling since order is so small it is not worth packing it :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts