Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I remove the cap from this assembly? I want to pull it off and put it onto another leg. This one mounted is a right leg, so the brake mount doesn't work.

The left leg that I pulled off as a rashed adjuster.

Now then, should I use the control box that came on my SV or should I use the GSX-R control box? If I use the GSX-R, how do I get around the problem of the throttle cables not fitting properly?

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
you need a special took and the fork has to be off the bike.

You would them compress the inside of the fork using this tool. Once you compress it there is a nut you have to hold while twisting off the cap. You can buy the tool on ebay, just look for "traxxion"

·
Registered
9,565 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,126 Posts
I mean 'buy the spare assembly' including the correct side brake lower already installed. You should be able to get a reputable shop pto swap the components out for you, no?

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mean 'buy the spare assembly' including the correct side brake lower already installed. You should be able to get a reputable shop pto swap the components out for you, no?
I don't think we understand each other. I have three legs. Two right, one left. I need the cap off the spare right to be put onto the left.

Why would I buy yet another leg?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I don't think we understand each other. I have three legs. Two right, one left. I need the cap off the spare right to be put onto the left.
I´d suggest you go to a shop and let them swap the cap over. Should take them 10 minutes, if ever.

I built the tool myself (it´s kinda crude, but works). In the time until your next fork oil change you can do the same...

Ciao
Jan

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's super easy to make the tool you need, which is just a spring compressor. There's a lock nut that needs to be loosened and then the entire fork top will spin off. In order to access the lock nut you have to force down the spacer about 2 or 3 inches, which is impossible to do alone without the tool.

To make the tool, go to the hardware store and hit up the plumbing section for a short piece of 2" black steel tubing. they sell them in short threaded lengths for a couple bucks. Then buy some 6 mm bolts and drill/thread the 2" tube as seen in the pic in the earlier post. Then use tie downs or a friend and compress the spring, loosen the lock nut, and get your fork cap.

Use the stock SV control - otherwise you have to re-wire for the horn.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Just go to a shop. Offer to help and give them $5 to do it real quick, its minor work.

·
Premium Member
8,126 Posts

Why would I buy yet another leg?
I understand what you are saying.

Because you probably wont see ROIC on buying the tool. Buy the leg you need, sell off the ones you dont. They you arent left with a hodge podge of parts and a tone use tool (not saying it is one use, most people probably wont use it more than one time).

·
Registered
998 Posts
JB you don't need to remove the fork.
First turn dampers counter clockwise. Screw till it bottoms.
1. Remove the wheel,
2. Strap the axle up to full stuff with a ratchet strap or cinch strap.
3. You will need the spring compressor that Sam showed. (I have 3 available just a 2" pipe with a threaded hole on both sides 5.00 and shipping)
4. Compress the spring, and slide it under the nut thats in the collar.
5. loosen the cap (its blue and there is the jhamb not on the damping rod it bottoms to)

replace cap and only tighten till it lightly bottoms on the rod Ithink it specs at 30" LBS might be less..
if you over tighten it, it will not turn properly and you will have too much compression damping.

Here is a video he does it the ******* way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib7067a2go8
I chopped the tip of my finger off doing this before I built compressors.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts