Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I watched a video online about adjusting the chain. I definitely need to get this done sooner rather than later. I probably have around 2 inches of slack, I didn't measure it, but if I push up from the middle of the chain, I can touch the swingarm:eek:

So I watch this video, not sv specific, and it says to loosen the rear axle nuts, then there should be two adjustment screws connected to it. I'm like "ok, that seems simple enough!

I get down there, and I'm staring at the rear of my swingarm where the wheel attaches going "this **** looks nothing like the video. wtf is this thing?!?"

The problem being, I am a visual learner. I do a lot better with pictures/video and instructions, than just typed out instructions. But at this point, I will take whatever I can get. I searched the FAQ section, and I didn't find anything to help me with the specifics:

1) wtf is that "cotter pin" looking thing going through the rear axle nut, and how the heck do I loosen the thing, if I even have to on the SV?

2) I don't see any "adjustment nuts" anywhere. How the heck do I tighten this thing?

So, basically, does anyone have a guide with step by step instructions about how to adjust your chain, from looking at the bike sitting on the kickstand, through adjusting, and back to having clean hands, looking at your bike with a properly adjusted chain?

edit: in case you're wondering, when I go down to adjust it, I'll bring a tape measure so I'm not "eyeballing" it. Also, neither my chain or sprockets are worn, I bought it last year and only put about 4k miles opn it, probably closer to 3k. I plan on double or tripling that this year.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get the SV650 manual from SV650.org or HERE . Section 2 Periodic Maintenance Page 2-22. It has pictures and everything.
thanks a ton, exactly what I was looking for. Once I saw the pictures I was like "oh, there we go". I just didn't see the adjusters at the end of the swingarm.

So the cotter pin is just that, and I'll pop it off, loosen the axle nut, adjust evenly on both sides, then tighten it all back together. sounds simple enough.

from the searches I did on sv650.org, it's fine that I leave it on the kickstand, and I shouldn't have to worry about the rear wheel staying aligned.

·
Registered
476 Posts
LOL, my 2008 axle nut doesn't have a cotter pin...wonder why they did away with that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
LOL, my 2008 axle nut doesn't have a cotter pin...wonder why they did away with that.
I noticed that on my friends GSX650F. I thought it was really strange and I feel like I would rather have a cotter pin. I'm sure they nixed it so that you can't forget to put the cotter pin back in.

And you're welcome hsilman :)

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Note that to maintain proper tire alignment you should measure from the swingarm pivot to the axle on both sides. Also, always adjust on the "pull" and don't loosen the adjusters afterward. If you pull too far, loosen the adjusters and bump the tire forward, start again.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Use rear stand if you've got it. Makes it much easier, and stabler, while you're wrenching on the axle nut. To keep the bike from moving on either stand, put a zip-tie on the front brake lever.

Take the opportunity to clean and lube the chain while you're at it.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I usually turn the adjuster nuts equal amounts. 1/4 turns or 1/2 turns at a time.

No more cotter pin on 08s?
Does it have a lock nut?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Yes thats a locknut. ^^
Do you you see the compressed area around the outside of the nut (ring). Its actually a fraction smaller diameter to provide force on bolt. In turn it stays on axle and doesn't vibrate off.

I'm going to my dealer and getting me an 08 nut, looks clean.

Hey nice new chain, my adjuster sits back 4 notch marks from where yours is at.
Yes I need to replace my chain.

·
Registered
476 Posts

Hey nice new chain, my adjuster sits back 4 notch marks from where yours is at.
Yes I need to replace my chain.
Lol, thanks...the bikes got just over 1000 miles on it. ;D

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, I don't have a rear stand, or any money to purchase one, but I can use my floor jack to lift my rear tire, same as what I do to clean/oil my chain.

I have no idea if I can get my hands on a 24mm socket, but I think I can afford just another socket, or at least a piece of pipe to make a cheap "breaker bar" for the tool in the sv toolkit if I need it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'd drop the $20 on a new socket...it will pay for itself over the life of the bike.

I just paid the $10 rental fee from O'Reilly Auto Parts and never returned it. ;D One of my buddies is a manager there and he told me to do it...the rental fee just covers the cost of the tool.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Even if it WAS $20...it would pay for itself.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
well, I don't have a rear stand, or any money to purchase one, but I can use my floor jack to lift my rear tire, same as what I do to clean/oil my chain.

I have no idea if I can get my hands on a 24mm socket, but I think I can afford just another socket, or at least a piece of pipe to make a cheap "breaker bar" for the tool in the sv toolkit if I need it.
If you have your OEM tool set then that should work.
You have the 24mm wrench and you also have an adapter extension in you r tool kit. The adapter extension slips onto to your wrench. Look for it it is crushed from one end.

Then just use your leg to press down on the nut to loosen it.
if the whole axle is turning, use the other included wrench to hold the axle on the opposite side.
I've done this countless times.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts

don't lift the rear with a floor jack. very unstable. leave it on the kickstand. as long as you measure everything you'll be ok for alignment.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
In turn it stays on axle and doesn't vibrate off.

I'm going to my dealer and getting me an 08 nut, looks clean.
at 72.5 ft.lbs. it shouldn't be going anywhere anyway.
the new nut does look good, but then you still have a hole in the axle, makes it look like you forgot the cotter pin.

·
Registered
476 Posts
the new nut does look good, but then you still have a hole in the axle, makes it look like you forgot the cotter pin.
LOL, I thought you were talking about MY axle having a hole in it for the cotter pin...I went outside to check. ;D

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, a few things I learned today:

1) I have no idea how to work the cotter pin lol. am I supposed to bend it to get it out or something? I don't want to break it!

2) I'm supposed to measure chain slack at it's tightest point, or at least put it in gear and roll it against the gear right, so it's taught? and measure how much it moves from there?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts