Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. I've been dating her for about year, and I think she really is the one. I've owned a motorcycle for the entire time we've known each other and she is well aware that I wouldn't be happy if I didn't have a bike- plus she loves riding along. That said, she's the girl that wants to wear cute shorts and flip flops, and then gets upset with me when I force her to wear at least jeans and her leather jacket. Every time I get on the bike in the summer she always complains that I get too hot or look stupid wearing a jacket, yet I persist that if something were to happen I want to be protected.

The last month or two has been a struggle. She randomly gets upset at me when I go ride because I could get killed or that I'm selfish for riding knowing I could leave her behind. She gets legitimately angry at me. I'm just so confused that she dated me knowing I rode, likes riding, hates when I/she wears gear, yet is upset that I own a motorcycle. It's so contradictory, and I'm struggling to grasp what to do or say to her. I didn't think it would get to the point where I had to choose between a bike and a girlfriend, because quite frankly I made sure to pick a girl that would never force me to make that choice. Honestly she's being a b$%#@ to me about it. What can I do or say besides the obvious "I had it when you met me","I'm always safe", and "I know the risks as well as you". Because those seem to upset her.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
You might have to choose one over the other. I'd take the bike; she isn't your wife yet. I don't say that jokingly.
Agreed. You dont want to be with someone that tries to control you and take away the things you enjoy. Otherwise, you are going to resent her down the line and giving in now may lead to more things she tries to make you stop doing that you enjoy. I am a firm believer you have to be the same person during a relationship that you were before the relationship.

·
Registered
683 Posts
From a girls standpoint? Nope...don't play. Ride, and ride as you prefer. If she refuses to comply...no ride for her. If she throws a tantrum...tell her "yes, dear" and throw a leg over the bike.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Power play!!

If you bend on this then you may is well just hand over the man card and cut it off.

Just let her know that your not going to stop riding and that you know the risks. Also that you take every precaution you can with your riding (assuming you do) but life in general is a risk. Also show her the picture of the girl who crshed without gear. She will wear gear after seeing that.

If she can't handle it then go Sparta on her and kick her into a sinkhole.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I had the same problem once with an ex. I paid for her to take the msf course so she could understand that the risks could be lowered. It kind of back fired, she not only let me ride, she got a license and bought her own bike. Then i was the pest for making her wear gear. She fought me about it for two weeks until she low sided the bike pulling out of a parking lot into fast moving traffic. The gear saved her sexy little body and she wouldnt stop thanking me for it.

She understood the risks from the classes and it helped her understand why i liked riding. It worked very well but everyday she got on a bike i guess the feelings got reversed because i was scared hahahha. Especially since she got bumps and bruises just from walking.......

I know a girl in my area who rides in a short skirt and high heels on her tricked out R1 to work everyday, definite knock out. Nothing you can tell this girl will stop her from looking good on her bike lol.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Ding Ding Ding.
+2

IMHO, there is no explaining to her further. You obviously have a choice to make:
Your possessional love
or
Your possessive love

She knows you won't get rid of your bike, from the very beginning and is using this tactic to split up. I believe I saw her on the back of an Aprilla Augusta MV the other day; I didn't want to break your heart, but since you mentioned it first.................................:happy1:

Sent from my right shoe phone.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I agree with JB! If she is going to put restrictions on the way you live your life and expect you to stop doing something you enjoy and have enjoyed since before she was even in the picture than you need to make a decision Sir. Just dont forget that once you give in to it there is no turning back and slowly but surely she will have complete control. And please don't ask how i know this!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Wow

I don't think anyone's giving her a fair shake. None of them know her like you do. Sure she's not a complete b$()*, she's just acting like one.

I'm guessing there's something else behind this.

One thing i've learned about women (at least women I've known) is that the argument/problem isn't always about the topic at hand....

I know this doesn't really solve your issue, but at least it's a different viewpoint from "ditch the bit$()"

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See thats the thing, I know jbs and the rest of you are right. If I have to choose, I would take the bike. I'd tell her that if she really cared about me, she wouldnt make me choose. That said, I'm more just confused about her mentality or reasoning about it considering the part where she loves riding and tells me I look funny wearing gear.

As one of you said, maybe I should have her take a MSF class. Plus I'd rather her have a bike than constantly want to tag along on mine. Thanks for the input guys, I assure you the bike will stay no matter what....I'd just prefer if I kept both if possible haha.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
01, I knew white SV riders were smarter. I mean I think thats the big thing. I doubt she'd make me choose, it's more of an annoyance that she thinks I'm selfish. As if I dont think about the mothers, girlfriends, kids, families, etc of every motorcycle crash I see on the news or here. I'd like to stay alive just as long as the rest of us do, just in her eyes it seems like I dont care. I do, but the second I let those thoughts dictate my emotions every time I get on the bike is the time I put the bike away for good.

·
Registered
184 Posts
she is either the typical girl that wants to change you into what she believes she wants.. don't do it!. it will just make both of you unhappy once she can change you she wont’ respect you. OR. there is chance that the problem is deeper then the bike and the bike is simply something she can ***** about that seems like a legitimate complaint when she’s talking to her friends.

OR I am full of it! But food for thought any ways.. My wife hates riding.. hates that I ride, but respects me to make my own decisions. The only time I get flak is when my riding interferes with family, and I get that ;)

Best of luck. I don’t see an easy way out.. I tried the psychology rout with my ex.. my advice if you go to see one.. go your self not as a couple, at the end of the day it will make you the better person and maybe a little incite into her.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
I'm guessing there's something else behind this.

One thing i've learned about women (at least women I've known) is that the argument/problem isn't always about the topic at hand....
After fathering 5 children, I am a self-proclaimed expert in the female emotional field.:hiding2:

Congrats NebraskaSV!
Pregnant women tend to be very possessive and emotional........just sayin' :magpie:

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
holy cr*p serious 5 kids Juan Don?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After fathering 5 children, I am a self-proclaimed expert in the female emotional field.:hiding2:

Congrats NebraskaSV!
Pregnant women tend to be very possessive and emotional........just sayin' :magpie:
She did accidentally park in the expectant mothers parking spot a week ago. I hate karma.

ps-lets not joke about that anymore!

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
She did accidentally park in the expectant mothers parking spot a week ago. I hate karma.

ps-lets not joke about that anymore!
I wasn't joking this time. When a kid comes into the picture and she is set on what she wants to a severity.........well ;)

1 - 20 of 129 Posts