Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm new here. Well, actually I was here back in AD1999, but I stepped away after my 99 SV was hit by an ex-stripper on her way back from an AA meeting. Haven't touched the SV since. I'm drowning in projects, and this one seems the easiest to complete. I'm not really even sure what I'm going to do with the bike when I'm done...if I remember right, it was even more fun to toss around than my current ride (06 Speed Triple), and I remember hustling through the twisties just as quickly as anyone with the SV. I also remember my 14sec 1/4 mile Mach 1 as being fast. but that won't keep up with gramma's V-6 these days...so...
Anyways, I pulled the lightly dented but kinda rusty inside tank, rolled a bunch of nuts along with some gas +seafoam around in it, and in it's place put a plastic cup with some fittings on it in it's place as a temp tank. New battery ( the 99 version was dead ) and 6 tries later, it burbled to life. For a sec. Then I remembered "these bikes have a choke ( OK, enricher circuit)" Got it running for a minute, but damn, it's sucking that cup of gas down fast. Then I notice my wet shoe...
So the questions are: Do I need a kit in order to pull the carbs apart and uncrud the needle valve?
Is this a good time to shim the jet needle, like I always planned to do, or should I just go with a baseline clean/rebuild?
If you were me and your garage had a dirt floor and your shop, though spacious and well lit had a backlog of repairs that you actually earn money doing, which would, in all reality get set aside for a week while I messed around with the carbs, would you just drop the carbs off at your friendly local independent shop?
And last, for the moment, would you guys punch me in the face if I put a set of Avon Distanzia tires on and rode a previously mint and now lightly damaged SV in the snow?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I can get laid on my own by woman you don't stick a dirty $5 bill in, so I was more interested in the kind of settlement that got me a bike :)

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Well I can get laid on my own by woman you don't stick a dirty $5 bill in, so I was more interested in the kind of settlement that got me a bike :)
You haven't lived until you've had sex with a woman you stick a dirty $5 bill in. :evil6:

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Shim the needle. I recently had it done, and it makes a noticeable improvement in drivability.

If you are taking the carbs apart, you'll probably need to get new gaskets. Might as well buy a kit. Otherwise, no need.

DIY or shop? Hard to say. What is your time worth?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You haven't lived until you've had sex with a woman you stick a dirty $5 bill in. :evil6:
hahaha well, that much is true...let's just say I'm at a point where in my life where I don't mind avoiding the added drama...looks like a new impact driver, new screws and a gasket kit, needle shimming and tying up the bench are all on the menu this week. Thinking of trying Metal Rescue for the tank, since de-rusting things like rotors and calipers will be a big part of the next project.

·
Hall Monitor
2,739 Posts
Etch the inside of the tank with phosphoric acid (you can find it at a good hardware store sold under the trade name of "Ospho"). This will convert any remaining rust into iron phosphate, which is reasonably inert and therefore acts as a barrier to further rust (though it is best to cover it up with a tank liner like Kreem or POR-15). Install an inline fuel filter and you'll never worry about dirt/rust getting into your carbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts