Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a slight problem with my 2001 SV650. This was my first bike and I am basically handicapped when it comes to a screw driver, so why I thought tightening the clutch cable was a good thing? I'm not sure. What I am sure of is that my clutch is now slipping sometimes and I need to repair it before I get rear ended :blob8:

I have two options to repair it, since I'm unable to understand a screw driver, doing it myself will not be an option :):icon_biggrin:

Option 1: Repairing the clutch plates at a Suzuki dealership. They are charging me $383.00 Canadian to fix the old girl. I'm just typing whats on the quote list, I'm not even sure if this is the real name or a short form, so please forgive me:

Drive: $114.54
Driver: $58.80
Spring: $32.00
Gasket: $13.77
Labor: $60/hr for a 2 hour job
Total: $383.00

Option 2: Repairing the clutch at another shop that isn't a Suzuki dealer, but the owner told me he would take apart the clutch and give me a full quote. He told me that you can replace a single plate if it was damage, you don't have to replace it all, is that true? He also told me he would only order the parts he needed, which stuck a bell in my head: Why is the dealership ordering everything when they haven't even checked the clutch fully? What if its a different problem?

The shop gave me a rough quote

$125 - $275. He said it would be around there, including labor. Since I'm a student, I would want to go with the cheaper option. He is also charging around $40 to take apart the clutch to check what the problem actually is. He also said it will take about an hour to complete (no where near the 2 hour mark)

I'm new to bikes so I'm not sure about the prices or the parts. The dealership is using OEM parts and the shop said he can get OEM parts or aftermarket that are slightly better and cheaper.

I'm not sure which one to go to, the dealership is trustworthy, but the owner of the shop seems to know what hes doing and he seems honest, like he will only fix what needs to be fixed and nothing more.

What would you guys do? Option 1, or Option 2?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Both dealerships would use brand new parts, also the warranty is pretty similar with both: "Come back if you have any problems..."

·
Registered
850 Posts
So...you tried to adjust the clutch yourself and now it's "slipping". And they want to take apart the actual clutch assembly to diagnose? What did you tell the shops?

Sounds like you over tightened the clutch and it's not fully engaging to me. Has anyone looked at the clutch cable to be sure it's properly adjusted, before they start tearing into the thing?

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
And you're sure that a proper clutch adjustment (As described in depth in the service manual) isn't going to fix the problem?
I'd get someone local to you with some knowledge look at it first before succombing to the dealerships diagnosis. Not that you shouldn't use them for the repair, but I'd get an unbiased opinion to weigh-in before plopping down that chunk of change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, the dealership loosened the clutch cable and sprayed some lube or something near the shift lever. Every since then, the bike has been slipping occasionally.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Clutch cable adjustment actually is done down by the front sprocket, the cable adjuster on the bars is for adjusting free-play in the lever only.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would, but I don't know any bikers near me that would know about clutches. Most people who ride bikes near me ride them but don't know much about the machine. I'm not judging or anything haha, I'm in the same boat as them :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is free play in the lever, the only thing both shops told me was that the plate might have been burnt out or something. I'm actually considering selling the machine because I've only driven it for 160 km and it's already giving me problems. If I do repair the clutch, I assume I won't have any problems for a while? I ride like an old lady 90% of the time, occasionally I do rev it up, but not often.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So...you tried to adjust the clutch yourself and now it's "slipping". And they want to take apart the actual clutch assembly to diagnose? What did you tell the shops?

Sounds like you over tightened the clutch and it's not fully engaging to me. Has anyone looked at the clutch cable to be sure it's properly adjusted, before they start tearing into the thing?
Yup, there is free play after the dealership loosened it. The person working on my bike told me I ran the risk of burning out my clutch and today he told me I did infact burn it out, but he didn't check it, he smelled it somehow lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts