Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on riding down to see my brother next Friday. I live in Harford County MD. (just northeast of Baltimore) and will be riding to Williamsburg VA. I am looking for a nice route that will help me avoid the usual 95-495 cluster that is the beltway. I would like to keep the time of the ride relatively low, 4-6 hours. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Twisties are a great addition ;D but not if they require me to drive an hour or two in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Umm, one option would be to ask your brother! ::)

If I'm going to ride up to see you, I'd be taking 64 to Virginia Beach and then across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, up the Eastern Shore, and across the top of the bay to you. I think that'd be about 6 hours (and $15 toll). The other option is to ride West and then take a parallel shot down (like 522 or something similar until it hits 64). 295/95 sucks, so I can't imagine the beltway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can talk to you on the phone easy enough :p Thought I would see if the web community had any idea :) I am trying to avoid tolls as I don't have a tank bag etc and it can be a pain in the arce to pay them. 522 crossed my mind.

·
Registered
722 Posts
mwj1042010 said:
Twisties are a great addition  ;D but not if they require me to drive an hour or two in the wrong direction. 
I smited you for that quote.  Twisties are always in the right direction.  When I went home, I added 3 hours to the trip by riding through W.VA. It was "on the way" as far as the bike is concerned.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the way home yes, but for someone who gets to see family 2-3x a year max for two days at a time, I will opt to spend my time with them as opposed to my daily moto-mistress, the sv.

·
Registered
722 Posts
A deeply touched Nimbus sits weeping at his keyboard, humbled by the love and sacrifice of family that he himself could never make :'(

I'm taking Thursday off if you want to meet me somewhere. Also, you could take 95 down to Fredricksburg and take 17 down to (some small connector) to route 14 (The Trail) and then onto the backroads to town. That would be justifiable in terms of time spent (as you would be potentially not risking your life on 95), and also meet the criteria for riding curves. Win-Win.

·
Registered
799 Posts
If you go west and head down 522...  this will take you into the Richmond/Chesterfield area.  Then pick up 5 that leads you right into Wburgh.   Roads have turns...  not twistys but you should be able to keep your speed up and not get bored out of your mind.  Lot's of open space and plantations once you get on 5.  

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Colonial Parkway is a nice ride between Yorktown and Williamsburg. It's only 45 though, and patrolled by cops, so try not to speed. If at all possible, I'd advoid Colonial Williamsburg (downtown) this time of year. The tourists are out in full force. I usually keep a stun gun, cross, and garlic handy, just in case I'm stopped at a light.

If you have a couple hours to kill, take the parkway to the Jamestown ferry over to Surry. Take 31 south, to 10 east to Smithfield. Catch 258 outside of Smithfield and cross the James River Bridge over to Newport News. Then catch either 60 (Warwick Blvd.) or 143 (Jefferson Ave.) north back to Willy'sburg. I ride that quite a bit. 31 and 10 are quite nice. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
722 Posts
ASCSurveyor said:
Colonial Parkway is a nice ride between Yorktown and Williamsburg.  It's only 45 though, and patrolled by cops, so try not to speed.  If at all possible, I'd advoid Colonial Williamsburg (downtown) this time of year.  The tourists are out in full force.  I usually keep a stun gun, cross, and garlic handy, just in case I'm stopped at a light.

If you have a couple hours to kill, take the parkway to the Jamestown ferry over to Surry.  Take 31 south, to 10 east to Smithfield.  Catch 258 outside of Smithfield and cross the James River Bridge over to Newport News. Then catch either 60 (Warwick Blvd.) or 143 (Jefferson Ave.) north back to Willy'sburg.  I ride that quite a bit.  31 and 10 are quite nice.  Just a suggestion.
If you have time someday, check out the "5 and 10." You take 10 to the Benjamin Harrison bridge (on the way up to Hopewell) and turn right up 155 (158?) for a few miles until it hits Route 5 and then 5 down to Greensprings Rd (which takes you to either the Ferry or the Parkway). That's a nice one. Some semi-decent curves on Route 10 up toward Hopewell, and also some fun on 5. Nothing great, but a good ride.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Nimbus said:
If you have time someday, check out the "5 and 10."  You take 10 to the Benjamin Harrison bridge (on the way up to Hopewell) and turn right up 155 (158?) for a few miles until it hits Route 5 and then 5 down to Greensprings Rd (which takes you to either the Ferry or the Parkway).  That's a nice one.  Some semi-decent curves on Route 10 up toward Hopewell, and also some fun on 5.  Nothing great, but a good ride. 
I vote to charge 95 to Fredricksburg, then pick up Rt 1. This will allow the fastest rding ( not too much longer than 95 all the way).
It will dump you in Richmond. Then pick up Rt. 5 That will take you into James Cty County and Williamsburg.

Either Rt 5 all the way or the ferry run. The ferry run does take some time and puts you in Surry. Rt5 is fun. Not mtn. twisties, but fun!!!!!!

If you want some company when you hit Richmond, let me know. I can ride with you to Williamsburg
:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts