Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished reading the sticky in this section on a GSXR shock swap. But there were too many dead link/pictures to get any good level of detail.

Will the 04/05 GSXR 750 shock fit on my '05 naked?

How do I know if my ceiling is strong enough to suspend my bike?

Where do I run the tie downs to lift the bike into the air?

Does anyone have any pictures, or another write up, or a list of compatible shocks with my '05?

I know this topic has been discussed to the point of "I wish these posts would go away"....but all of links I click on after a search don't work. I want to do this mod....but I need some help.

·
Registered
571 Posts
i would think that the shocks you mention would not be a problem.

i have read through the shock swap post and the running theme is to find one with the spring rate that you want. i think the newest list is on page 7 (i could be wrong) that shows where our stock shocks are and what the others shocks are listed at.

for me i want to find a '03-'04 gsxr1000 shock. they have the rate that i want.

your question should not be will it work (because it will) but will it work how i want it to? or you could just go to svraceshop as mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
04 gsxr 750 shock *should* work, but may not be ideal unless you are REALLY a lightweight and the stock SV shock is sprung too heavy for you.  the 750 shock is sprung lighter than the stock SV shock.

the 04 GSXR 1000 shock will probably be a better match, depending on your weight.  Plus, many have used this shock, so we *know* that it will fit (with the usual battery box and seat mods).

how much do you weigh?

or, as mentioned, you could buy one from SV RaceShop...they will revalve it correctly for your weight.  much more expensive than a used shock from ebay, though.  Plus, since it is based on a GSXR shock, you will have to do the same battery box mods.

As for lifting...here's what I did:

locked the forks.  wrapped a strap around the front brake, to keep that front wheel from moving.  hog tie the sidestand to keep it from folding up.  After removing the tail plastics, I put a stepladder over the rear of the bike.  I attached a ratchet strap to the top of the ladder and to the RIGHT REAR of the frame of the tail (near where the grab bar attaches).  Ratcheted the strap a few times, just enough to get the rear wheel off the ground.  Ladder should be strong, but doesnt have to be some crazy industrial strength anything...basically, just lifting it from the RIGHT rear will shift almost all of the weight of the bike to the front wheel and the sidestand. 

As for more info, try doing a search (click the "advanced" button) for "Shock" by my username...I just did this a few weeks ago, and made a few posts about it.

See my post in the shock sticky, page 7 or 8 I think, for a list of shocks and their springrates and lengths.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Ask Mike Bailey how they work! He podiumed at the GNF on one of our revalved shocks. He said tire wear was nil and the bike worked great.

We are just about finished with setting up our new larger nicer shop. The suspension section is much better and very well thought out. We will be back in full production this weekend. ;D

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I weigh about 195 and I have a 04 GSXR 1000 shock...works great for me

See my post on page 7 of the shock sticky.  An 03-04 Kawi 636 is even heavier, but is significantly longer than the stock shock, which will raise rear ride height.

edit:  here is the direct link to my shock length/spring rate post -
http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=48973.msg527814#msg527814

one more thing: again, I am not a suspension expert by any means. In that post, it says 540# spring rate recommended for rider over 190 #. Well, that's because the only shock with a heavier spring than the gsxr 1000 is the 636, which is 540#. I dunno...I was kinda on the fence...my weight fluctuates from 185-205. I finally decided that I would rather it be a little undersprung than way over sprung...so I chose the GSXR 1000. If you're not over 200, and you're an average street rider, I think you'll be quite happy with the 03-04 GSXR 1000, too.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
you know your ceiling is strong enough is you suspend the bike and it doesn't fall down ;D . no but really what are you suspending it from. if your ceiling has trusses made from 2x6's you should be alright. i also used a floor jack with a small piece of wood forget how big it was but i put it under the engine and slid the floor jack under it to get the bike off the ground and then used the straps to support it (my straps wouldn't lift the bike) i'd stronlgly suggest having 3 guys there. me and my dad got it up but a 3rd guy would have been welcome.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gahdzila said:
I weigh about 195 and I have a 04 GSXR 1000 shock...works great for me

See my post on page 7 of the shock sticky.  An 03-04 Kawi 636 is even heavier, but is significantly longer than the stock shock, which will raise rear ride height.

edit:  here is the direct link to my shock length/spring rate post -
http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=48973.msg527814#msg527814

one more thing:  again, I am not a suspension expert by any means.  In that post, it says 540# spring rate recommended for rider over 190 #.  Well, that's because the only shock with a heavier spring than the gsxr 1000 is the 636, which is 540#.  I dunno...I was kinda on the fence...my weight fluctuates from 185-205.  I finally decided that I would rather it be a little undersprung than way over sprung...so I chose the GSXR 1000.  If you're not over 200, and you're an average street rider, I think you'll be quite happy with the 03-04 GSXR 1000, too.
I'm in the same boat.....my weight usually fluctuates between 190 and 200. But in the recent months...I've been in the "I don't give a sh*t if I'm getting fatter" category. ;D

So is it worth the hassle for Gix 1k upgrade? I mean.....is it a dramatically noticable difference? I would really like a shock that I don't have to cut anything to get in....but 600 bucks is a rediculous chunk of change fo me right now.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much do you weigh b.a.?  You happy with what you have?  Have you ridden the bike yet?

I read in an older post that you didn't get a chance to ride after the upgrade.

I really wish I had some biker buddies around here that could help.  I'll probably end up doing this thing by myself. Kinda blows but oh well :-\

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
slappermouth said:
  I would really like a shock that I don't have to cut anything to get in....but 600 bucks is a rediculous chunk of change fo me right now.
hah i laugh at you you gotta modify no matter what.  unless you get a remote resevoir.  i'd say go with the 1k shock it wasn't to bad nothing your average joe diy guy couldn't do.  

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
i'm 185? on any given sunday ;) but no sadly i haven't ridden it yet. seeing as my bike is here and i'm

hear.

hopefully next week no matter how cold it is. unless its freezing cuz bikes + ice = [email protected]#k it

but i'd bet its going to be a huge difference. the stock shock is like bush compared to guiness.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
slappermouth said:
I weigh 200lb ungeared.  How do I know what spring rate I need?
you need at least a 475lb spring and probably a 500. i'm a little lighter and i like the 500.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts