Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm in the market for some new gear and was looking to get some actual user advice on what I should look into. My list is fairly long so I would expect a good amount of people can help.

First I need some new pants. I live north of Atlanta, GA to give an idea about temperatures and weather. I currently wear jeans whenever I ride which will only be useful for if I drop the bike on myself, obviously. I will need to have pants that can go over dress pants as well so I can commute to work and not have to worry about changing my entire outfit.

Next I need boots. My current boots that I use are standard military issue. I know these can offer good protection in an accident but I am looking for something that offers a little better traction and durability for riding.

Next I am looking for a jacket for my girlfriend to ride. Whenever we go out I currently give her my jacket and it is getting kind of old running into bugs without a jacket. That **** stings...

My final piece of equipment is a backpack. My current pack is about 5 years old and unfortunately seems to be at its prime. I need a pack that has a chest strap, hip strap, and a protected laptop slot. A nice sized main compartment is a plus as well.

I would like to keep the overall budget under 500 so if you had this list and budget what would you get? Look forward to hearing the responses everyone!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
$500 is pretty tight. In that case the budget may dictate which options you have available to you. But don't fret!

Keep an eye on deals at

motorcyclegear.com
revzilla.com
sportbiketrackgear.com
motorcyclesuperstore.com

I especially like the first one.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm in the market for some new gear and was looking to get some actual user advice on what I should look into. My list is fairly long so I would expect a good amount of people can help.

First I need some new pants. I live north of Atlanta, GA to give an idea about temperatures and weather. I currently wear jeans whenever I ride which will only be useful for if I drop the bike on myself, obviously. I will need to have pants that can go over dress pants as well so I can commute to work and not have to worry about changing my entire outfit.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...Textile-Overpants.aspx?WT.ac=RichAutoComplete

I have these and they work great over my dress pants. I carry my dress shoes in my backpack and swap my boots out and take the pants off when I get to work. Takes less than 5 minutes.

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/apollo_waterproof_vented_textile_motorcycle_pants/web1001040

If you are looking for a more budget friendly option, Bilt is decent gear for the price. I have a Bilt mesh jacket and my brother has a helmet and we have both been happy. I would certainly pick up more Bilt gear if my budget were an issue at the time.

Next I need boots. My current boots that I use are standard military issue. I know these can offer good protection in an accident but I am looking for something that offers a little better traction and durability for riding.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...gn=Footwear&utm_medium=base&utm_source=Google

Boots will depend what you are looking for. I compromised protection slightly for comfort so I could wear my boots all day. I have the ones above and they held up well in my crash last year. I got a good deal on them barely used was another reason I got them. I would also check out the BILT stuff for budget reasons or their Sedici stuff which is a little nicer and more pricey. My wife has Sedici boots and she likes them.

Next I am looking for a jacket for my girlfriend to ride. Whenever we go out I currently give her my jacket and it is getting kind of old running into bugs without a jacket. That **** stings...
How often is she riding? If its not that regularly, I would definitely get a Bilt jacket. I have a spare set of gear I keep at my house in case anyone wants to ride and it is Bilt stuff.

My final piece of equipment is a backpack. My current pack is about 5 years old and unfortunately seems to be at its prime. I need a pack that has a chest strap, hip strap, and a protected laptop slot. A nice sized main compartment is a plus as well.
https://store.58cycle.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ALPSTARS PN 610750-10&click=2

I have the above backpack and have been happy. It holds quite a bit including a laptop and includes all the straps. The only downside to it is the fabric protecting the zipper from the rain makes the zipper a little bit of a pain to unzip sometimes but I have gotten used to it.

I would like to keep the overall budget under 500 so if you had this list and budget what would you get? Look forward to hearing the responses everyone!
For under $500, I would definitely swap in Bilt stuff in certain places (g/f gear for sure). Others will try to tell you to go broke buying the best but I think there is some pretty good gear out there for those on a budget. Also, check ebay and craigslist. You can get some nice barely used jackets and boots on there. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I would suggest the sponsor ridersdiscount on here. You have to email/PM for the best price, but they really have beat some of the above websites by quite a bit when shopping for gear.

They also carry stuff not on their website, best way is to just shoot them an email.

Of course you have to dtermine what you're looking for first.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I would suggest the sponsor ridersdiscount on here. You have to email/PM for the best price, but they really have beat some of the above websites by quite a bit when shopping for gear.

They also carry stuff not on their website, best way is to just shoot them an email.

I would second this as well. You can tell them generally what you are looking for and they can tell you what they can give you the best deals on as well and choose from there. I have gotten quite a few deals from them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
As a fellow Atlantan, I'll recommend a local place.

http://www.mmsmarietta.com/

That's where I got my helmet, jacket, and pants. I got the tourmaster air intake 3 & joe rocket alter ego 2.0 pants. It was worth the few extra bucks to me to support a local place and try things on. They have boots, but not in my size (13). I went down the street to Cycle Gear for my boots, and got a good price. Both places (Mtn. Motorsports and Cycle Gear) have a few backpacks to look at.

But yeah, if that's all you need, $500 will be about minimum. My costs:
$100 boots
$170ish jacket
$130ish pants
Backpack will vary a lot, but at least $100 for what you're looking for. I ended up getting saddlebags that were $110.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Pants: I love my Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 Mesh/Textile over-pants. Great for warm weather riding.

Boots: In my experience, many cheaper boots aren't much better than the boot you're wearing. I'd save up some, and buy something that will be: protective, comfortable, and still allow mobility. After trying a few pairs, I eventually caved and bought Alpinestar's Supertech R's from Rider's Discount. I couldn't be happier. They feel protective from all aspects of potential foot injuries, yet I could walk around in them all day, and they aren't super bulky or plasticy.

Jacket: Get her something comparable or better than what you're currently wearing. Have her try stuff on locally to get sizing, and definitely ask her opinion on looks ;-)

Backpack: I've been using a Targus Sport Standard and been very happy. It fit's securely, hold my laptop and a bunch of other stuff. Granted I use it because it was free from my employer, but I don't have an desire for anything different. It doesn't have a chest strap, but the arm and waist straps are sufficient. I don't think you really need a chest strap. http://www.targus.com/us/productdet...vel1=shop&cp=&bannertxt=Backpacks for Laptops

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts

I would second this as well. You can tell them generally what you are looking for and they can tell you what they can give you the best deals on as well and choose from there. I have gotten quite a few deals from them.
Thanks guys, OP you are more than welcome to give me a call as well. There are many options and price ranges to choose from. I am here M-F 10AM-6PM. Toll free 866-931-6644 or shoot me a PM as well. We want your business!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is a much bigger response than I was expecting tbh lol. It's great! We found the girl a nice jacket so that is off the list now and it is on to my own **** to buy. I'll have to review all the things everyone said but I'm glad to know everyone will be so helpful.

On a side note JQuacker I am actually new to the area. Just moved down here to Alpharetta in the middle of July. Do you know of any good places to ride? Last weekend me and the girl took the bike up and rode 60 above Dahlonega. That was a pretty long ride with her on the back though lol

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I'm with jquack.

I rode with a military backpack for a while, and though it wasn't horrible, I much prefer the saddlebags.

I cashed in my gift certs. (that I got for writing reviews) and the bags were like $90

·
Registered
101 Posts
Erog, something else I just thought about. I don't know if you've done any riding in street/business clothes before, but one thing I'd be careful about is pants ripping from sitting in the saddle. I ride with my gym shorts underneath the Alter Ego pants, and change at work. Whatever works for you - just a caution.

I'll get back to you on places to ride; no time right now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
As for places to ride, here's a map.

http://goo.gl/maps/L5K3c

A is 140 & 9 (Holcomb Bridge & Alpharetta Hwy). One of the most dangerous intersections in Atlanta, for what it's worth. But we're using it as a starting point.

B is Cycle Gear. Great place for gear & maintenance things, and really close to you (farther for me, I'm in Woodstock).

C-E is just to keep the route on Hwy 9. When you get out of Alpharetta, it's not such a bad route, plus it's the way to get to fun roads. You can also take 400 north, try them both and see what you like. 400 can be trafficky though, so I like to avoid it.

F is Dawsonville. There's the Georgia Racing Hall of Fame there (G), and they have bike events every now and then. Call ahead to find out, they're helpful on the phone. In the same shopping center of GRHoF is a place called "The Pit Stop." $2.25 draft beers, amazing wings, and 1/2lb burgers. Highly recommended. I saw some reviews online that didn't rate it to well, but my experience there was A+.

F-H is the route along 53. Very popular with riders, great route that's close to home without going to far north. I rode it for the first time this past weekend.

I is Jasper. There are some local things there, though I'm not terribly familiar with the town.

I-J is 136. Haven't ridden it, but on the map it looks like it'd be a fun road.

J-K is route back.

Just a starting point, there are lots of fun roads around. Google yields many results.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah like I said I rode up to Dahlonega last Sunday and rode up 60 to Suches and back. 60 is nice and curvy but it's a bit of a haul getting there. We took 9 the entire way up so I know where you mean when you say it's nice once you get out of Alpharetta. Thanks for the tip about The Pit Stop. We'll probably hit that place up this weekend. I'm always game for a good burger. Thanks for the tips man.

And I need to have a backpack capable of carrying a laptop because I work in IT so I need to haul my computer every day, otherwise saddle bags would be highly considered.

·
Registered
101 Posts
No problem! Maybe we'll ride together some time. Good luck and stay safe.

As for backpacks, I did a bit of research but couldn't find anything I liked for cheap enough. Ogio makes some nice ones, I know that. I'd go by Cycle Gear or Mountain Motorsports and try different ones out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts