Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...That was the question I kept asking out loud last night as a repeated stab at my buddy.

He's got an 09 R6S, and he came home with a whole pile of parts to throw at it. Ducati 1098 integrated signal mirrors, smoked flush mount LED signals, a set of frame sliders and a BMC air filter. What a PITA that was. As I'm helping him install all this crap, I couldn't believe the amount of fasteners holding the fairings together!

Just reminded me of why I like my SV. ;D Pretty much everything is easily accessible....with the exception of the 4 bolts that held my rear fender on when I installed the Evotech fender eliminator. But we won't go there.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yeah installed Ricor intiminators yesterday on my svs and the clipons and half fairing were a little more of a pain than my rommies naked sv. Awsome product though.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
To do a major throttle adjustment on my GSXR I have to remove my left side fairing, tail section, tank and airbox. To change my oil, I have to remove my left side fairing,

·
Registered
433 Posts
To change my oil, I have to remove my left side fairing,
if you just remove the one bolt by the kickstand you can squeeze the filter out if you're lazy, but its a little messy.

any pics with the Ducati mirrors? i haven't heard of anyone doing this

·
Registered
338 Posts
I couldnt get my tail plastics off yesterday because the stupid plastic push in fasteners were stuck in :(

nakeds have them too!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
any pics with the Ducati mirrors? i haven't heard of anyone doing this

Not yet. I'll see if I can snap a couple when we go out later on this afternoon. Looks pretty trick.

He really wanted to get the flush mounted front signals to get rid of the bulbous front signal stalks...but both him and I were in agreement that flush mount signals are a great way to get yourself creamed because nobody can see the **** things.

The mounting on the 1098 mirrors wasn't QUITE perfect. The studs are just a tiny bit further spaced than the holes in the fairing, so we had to take a drill bit and elongate the mounting holes in the aluminum a little. The wiring was pretty simple after that.

The fit and finish isn't the greatest either due to differences in the shape of the mirror base on the R6 and the 1098...but it's something we're going to try and work on in the future. Good enough for now. Gotta figure out a way to bring the mirrors out away from the bike a little and rotate them some. The ends of the mirrors dip down slightly as they are now and make the bike look kinda like a scolded german shepard.

·
Banned
3,813 Posts
I like them SV650 naked too... Besides the fact that the naked looks good, specially with GSXR front end and clip ons.The SV650S looks a little half done... And, the SV650S with lowers looks actually, kind of patched together and ugly!

The wind factor, even at SV650 top speed is not bad... What 125mph or so? ...Bend your elbows and tuck in for a burst of SV650 top gear...

Besides, how fast can you cruise on the streets or the highway without getting in trouble? 80mph, maybe 85mph? ...Some wind on your chest will remaind you are in fact, on a motorcycle. If you are a puss who whines about wind on an SV650 on your commute to work... Please drive your car!!! LOL

Although I have been considering lately installing GSXR race fairings on my track SV for compliance and maybe to make the SV slide a little easier... I do not see it helping all that much at top speed... since I know the SV strong points are cornering performance and acelerating out of those corners...

Me and my naked SV650... What a happy combo!!! Luis

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The SV650S looks a little half done... And, the SV650S with lowers looks actually, kind of patched together and ugly!

I uh...just so happen to ride an SV650S...with a chin fairing. I personally quite like the way it looks!

Now I'm going to go and give my bike a hug and reassure it that I don't think it's ugly. You hurt its feelings.

·
Registered
856 Posts
how much more visable are stalked directionals than flush mounted? the front ones don't matter,i hope you don't ever reley on on coming traffic yeilding for you to make a left turn. The back ones, a little more important,but a little tip, go far over to the left when you do have to wait to make a left turm,right on the double yellow is still fine, the directional doesn't really have to actualy show which way you plan on turning ,any bright flashing light would do just fine, it's just got be seen ,if you can flash your brake light with the directional that would be great. ride like you're invisable

·
Banned
3,813 Posts
Please explain.
Honestly, I have had no issues at all with the naked SV650 at track day events...

For a dedicated track bike, having a belly pan is prefered. But, not required, unless you are actually racing.

For aerodynamic purpose, a bike with fairings will slide though the air easier due to less drag from odd shaped parts sticking out... The faster you go the more important it is to have an aerodynamic shape.

At top speed the SV650 may benefit 2 to 3mph... While a GSXR1000 would benefit as much as 10mph or more...

I guess the real reason is because I have a friend selling 06-07 GSXR600 body work for $300.00 and it is a good deal...

Luis

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you meant slide the tires, not through the air.

I've been running naked on my SVS track bike as well. This was my first weekend on race tires (Supercorsa Pro's). ;D

·
Woody's Lackey
1,464 Posts
Honestly, I have had no issues at all with the naked SV650 at track day events...

For a dedicated track bike, having a belly pan is prefered. But, not required, unless you are actually racing.

For aerodynamic purpose, a bike with fairings will slide though the air easier due to less drag from odd shaped parts sticking out... The faster you go the more important it is to have an aerodynamic shape.

At top speed the SV650 may benefit 2 to 3mph... While a GSXR1000 would benefit as much as 10mph or more...

I guess the real reason is because I have a friend selling 06-07 GSXR600 body work for $300.00 and it is a good deal...

Luis

only 2-3 more mph, i guess you also believe that your speedo is correct as well? bodywork helps a lot more then you could ever believe. try riding a bike with real body work on it and at 100mph lift your head above the windshield and you will get the idea how well bodywork helps.

·
Registered
667 Posts
only 2-3 more mph, i guess you also believe that your speedo is correct as well? bodywork helps a lot more then you could ever believe. try riding a bike with real body work on it and at 100mph lift your head above the windshield and you will get the idea how well bodywork helps.
Disagree.

Ask any engineer (I'm sure 1 or 2 can chime in here) how aerodynamic a motorcycle is.

Motorcycles are mostly based on extreme power/weight ratios. What I mean is that most bikes just overcome the aerodynamic drag with more HP. I bet if you took a 'busa to the salt flats and went flat out both crouched behind the windscreen and then again without the fairings and sitting as upright as you can without being blown off, you MIGHT see 10mph difference. Hell, on my BMW I can stand up on the freeway to stretch my legs, hold the throttle at the same spot and not slow down a bit.

BTW I am awaiting the flames for the standing up comment ;D

·
Banned
3,813 Posts
hmmmm.... Try riding a Naked bike at 125 - 135 mph and try to figure out what pansies b!tch about not having a double bubble windscreen when cruising at highway speed. Seriously? It is a motorcycle people!!!

Actually at 125 mph the drag created from not having bodywork vrs. having bodywork is not that much... 2-3 mph top speed increase on a 70 HP SV650 seems reasonable.

Now, On a GSXR1000, at 186 mph the drag created from not having bodywork vrs having bodywork is much greater... Hence the 10 mph + Remember that the new GSXR1000 are making what 175 HP? 10 mph + as comparable to the Hayabusa reference posted above...

The increase in speed creates greater drag resistance, and it becomes more important to become more aerodynamic. at 125 mph yes you have some drag but not all that much... Having bodywork will not create 0 drag!!!

Remember that on our motorcycle word, even race body, looks are far more important than 100% aerodynamic efficiency. Otherwise we would see racers with the bubbly bodywork of the 70's

Maybe I am wrong, I am just applying some logic here...

Luis

PS BTW the only place I see top speed at the track is on the main straight away... And I out brake other riders and can carry more cornering speed that I can pass 3-4 riders on the outside, of the 1st corner following the main straight!!! ......................Naked FTW!!!!!!!!

·
Woody's Lackey
1,464 Posts
hmmmm.... Try riding a Naked bike at 125 - 135 mph and try to figure out what pansies b!tch about not having a double bubble windscreen when cruising at highway speed. Seriously? It is a motorcycle people!!!

Actually at 125 mph the drag created from not having bodywork vrs. having bodywork is not that much... 2-3 mph top speed increase on a 70 HP SV650 seems reasonable.

Now, On a GSXR1000, at 186 mph the drag created from not having bodywork vrs having bodywork is much greater... Hence the 10 mph + Remember that the new GSXR1000 are making what 175 HP? 10 mph + as comparable to the Hayabusa reference posted above...

The increase in speed creates greater drag resistance, and it becomes more important to become more aerodynamic. at 125 mph yes you have some drag but not all that much... Having bodywork will not create 0 drag!!!

Remember that on our motorcycle word, even race body, looks are far more important than 100% aerodynamic efficiency. Otherwise we would see racers with the bubbly bodywork of the 70's

Maybe I am wrong, I am just applying some logic here...

Luis

PS BTW the only place I see top speed at the track is on the main straight away... And I out brake other riders and can carry more cornering speed that I can pass 3-4 riders on the outside, of the 1st corner following the main straight!!! ......................Naked FTW!!!!!!!!

wow, with a statement like that who can argue? i mean your the best you have ever seen. bodywork does make a differance, its just you cant tell the differance due to you being "so fast" in the corners. and passing that many people on a trackday is no way the same as a raceday. but in all seriousness, what i am saying is it will make more of a differance then 2-3 mph. yes i understand we are talking about motorcycles, but every little bit helps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts