Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago I bought my first bike. Its a 2021 Suzuki Sv 650 abs. I've loved the bike since owing it and have ridden it very often. However I believe I messed up. I have not really liked the sound of the exhaust. In my mind I thought it would be a good idea to take the muffler off of it to hear what that engine sounds like without being silenced by the factory muffler. Granted the fact I thought it sounded good and rode it around town for a day or two like that. Talking to a co worker about it, he made mention of and or asked me if I noticed a lack of performance, backfiring, etc. I did a little research and learned of the con's of removing the muffler. So I decided to put it back on. Well yesterday my brother stopped by while I was at work and took my bike out for a ride. I got a call from him saying the check engine light was on. When I got home it was indeed on with the FI code showing in the odometer area. I did a bit of looking around on the internet to try and solve this but all I can come up with is using a jumper wire to put the bike in dealer mode to find the code, buy the dealer mode tool, take it to the dealer and explain the already embarrassing story to them, etc. Has anyone ever experienced what I've done and or how did you go about fixing the issue. Also, in the future it I decide to go for a different slip-on muffler, will I encounter the FI code again ?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hi and welcome to the board. It's likely that the CEL was caused by removing and replacing the muffler, which has temporarily confused the ECU (I have a Yoshi TRS can on my 2017 Gen 3, and have never got any codes from the swap but your 2021 may have different ECU mapping and narrower tolerances).

If it is because of that, and not because of another problem, the CEL will disappear after 3 'drive cycles' - that is, switching ignition on, starting engine, running / riding until engine temp reaches more than 71C / 160F, then switching off. The fault code stored in the ECU that caused the CEL will be erased after 40 of the above cycles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome to the board. It's likely that the CEL was caused by removing and replacing the muffler, which has temporarily confused the ECU (I have a Yoshi TRS can on my 2017 Gen 3, and have never got any codes from the swap but your 2021 may have different ECU mapping and narrower tolerances).

If it is because of that, and not because of another problem, the CEL will disappear after 3 'drive cycles' - that is, switching ignition on, starting engine, running / riding until engine temp reaches more than 71C / 160F, then switching off. The fault code stored in the ECU that caused the CEL will be erased after 40 of the above cycles.
Thank you for that information. I took it for a couple of rides over the weekend. It started something I've never seen before. When I shift into second it says I'm in first gear on the gear indicator. When I'm in 6th it says I'm in 4th and will alternate between 1st and 4th on my gear indicator :cautious:

·
Registered
589 Posts
As yours is a 2021 bike, that's a warranty job. I'd report that to the dealer and get them to fix it. I suspect the gear position sensor is faulty. You need to get that sorted because the ECU changes the ignition, fuel and secondary throttle mapping in 5th & 6th gears compared to gears 1 through 4, and it relies on the gear position sensor to make those changes.

Don't worry about any fault code from removing the muffler, they will not know that you removing the muffler caused it, and you could just say that you thought the Check Engine light and gear indicator issue were related.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts