Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i'm new to the forum and I've been wanting to make the transition over to a SV650s. I think I found the bike I wanted but i'm not sure what to pay for a salvaged bike (i have free time so a project bike would be fun for me). I was wondering if you guys could input in your opinion on what I should expect to pay for this particular bike.

Here's the description of the bike:

2004 Yellow SV650s w/ fairing
'light damage' to the right fork, right pegs, headlight, right brake level.

claims bike is still straight with no scratch on the frame or engine casing and the engine runs.

He's asking $2700

thanks in advance for the input

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
with a clean title, that's cheap... with a salvaged title that's a decent deal (decent, not great).
Take a look at it, look at the back and see if the body work sits straight. If the bodywork is cocked to one side then the subframe is twisted (common). Also make sure the radiator is straight (very expensive).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, what would be an ideal price range for this particular bike? Also i was reading in the archive about how to check for other damages like leaking radiator but is there a way to check if the frame is bent (i tried looking for a computrack in SF but there isn't any). Is there anything else I should inspect also?

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I think it's in a fair price range for salvage, cheap for a clean title.

The frames and swing arms on these bikes are incredibly strong, the subframes, forks and wheels however are not (see my first post about checking the subframe).  My 2002 looked like this when I got it, even had a subframe mount busted off but it's straight and true.

Look at the welds, they're the most likely place for trauma to show.  If there's damage there will likely be cracks in the powder coating and near the welds.  Check the forks, brake rotors and swing arm with a good quality ruler for straightness.  Look real hard around the lip of the wheels for trauma.  The radiator should be straight and without abrasion marks.  

·
Registered
270 Posts
thats the bike that was on craigslist right? i thought about getting that bike, but realistically, after you buy a new fairing,pegs, levers etc. you will have spent more on that salvaged bike than you would on a clean title bike w/ no damage, and might actually be able to sell it later on...just my view on it... im lookin hard for an sv right now, but i will not buy a used one unless it has less than 1000 miles on it, and a warranty still...ask dude if hes got a factory warr. you are in sf? im in san mateo...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jordan650 said:
thats the bike that was on craigslist right? i thought about getting that bike, but realistically, after you buy a new fairing,pegs, levers etc. you will have spent more on that salvaged bike than you would on a clean title bike w/ no damage, and might actually be able to sell it later on...just my view on it... im lookin hard for an sv right now, but i will not buy a used one unless it has less than 1000 miles on it, and a warranty still...ask dude if hes got a factory warr. you are in sf? im in san mateo...
well i eventually picked up the bike for 2500. I don't think i will have spent more for a clean title with no damage because 1) it's 2004 2) only 1900 miles 3) damage is very exclusive to the upper front part of the cycle. The engine still runs strong (bike still runs actually), frame is straight, wheels are true, no damage to the bike from the gauage and back (except for a few half an inch scrapes here and there). After looking over the bike, the thigns I need to fix/replace are front right fork (~75-150), front cowel (270 new inc paint or if i can get lucky, 150 for used with some small scrapes), need headlamps (varying but def under 100), turn signals (under 20), mirrors (under 20), the plastic pieces surrounding the gauge behind the cowel (25'ish), brake lever (5), brake pedal (5-10'ish dependin on how much i want to replace), both side pegs (15'ish). I've been checking salvage yards and ebay and so far i've concluded that altogether the parts will cost about ~400-500. Since i will do this all myself, i can document it and pretty restore to new. In end i will probably have paid little under 3000 for a 2004 bike with 1900 miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts