Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just jetted my carbs and shimmed the neddles. I got the info fromt his site.
http://www.geocities.com/catpoopman/sv650_rejet.html

i have a yosh full system on it the rs3.

i went with the 140 mains and 175 pilots, and 2 shimms. now the bike is running horribly. it almost wants to stall when pulling out and it is surging like crazy. I have a hard time keeping it running everytime i pull out.

has anyone tried this set up??

Thanks !!

N

·
0 Posts
I use the same jetting -albeit not with a full system- and I don't think that's the problem. Honestly, I suggest you re-check your work looking specifically for vaccuum leaks etc. Check the CV diaphragms as it is easy to pinch these or tear a hole 'in em which willl totally FU your fuelling.

:)

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
I just put a full Yosh system on with 140 mains, 17.5 pilots, 1 shim, stock air filter and it ran OK but not any better than stock. Then I added a washer that was equal to 1 1/2 shims, so I was at about 2 1/2 shims. A slight hesitation developed when the throttle was wacked open at any speed or gear. So I when back to 1 shim. Like nc-sv650 said, it sounds like something may have been assembled wrong. My opinion about this Yosh is there is more noise but not any  more power except maybe a teeny bit at 10,000 ::)

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I'd get back in the carbs and make sure you got everything back together correctly.
Did you adjsut the idle jet screws?

If you guys want power you also have to do the air cleaner. I'd either de-snorkle or get a BMC, either way you'll need bigger jets too.

My 2002 came de-snorkled with stock exhaust and stock engine... 150 main jets, 2 shims (I don't remember the idle jet settings, probably 2.5 turns out). The bike ran very strong.

With 03 cam swap, full exhaust & BMC filter I'm using 165 front and 162.5 rear, also using 17.5 pilots, adjustable needles on 4th clip and 2.5 turns out on idle jet screws. Now the bike is f*cking ///Fast!

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Something's not put back together right, the jetting specs are fine. A common problem is the O-ring that holds the needle in postion not staying seated and the needle jumps around. It's also possible to have the choke cable messed up at the 1-2 junction so that the choke's full on all the time. Carbs not fully seated in the boots happens too. DAMHIK,IJN, ok?? ;D

·
Registered
79 Posts
donniej said:
With 03 cam swap, full exhaust & BMC filter I'm using 165 front and 162.5 rear, also using 17.5 pilots, adjustable needles on 4th clip and 2.5 turns out on idle jet screws.  Now the bike is f*cking ///Fast!
Have you popped it onto a dyno mate? Curious to see how the curve compares to mine as I've got all the same mods but I'm runnin 160fr & 157.5rr. I do have my needles down to the 5th clip with a shim though.

K

·
0 Posts
donniej said:
I'd get back in the carbs and make sure you got everything back together correctly.
Did you adjsut the idle jet screws?

If you guys want power you also have to do the air cleaner. I'd either de-snorkle or get a BMC, either way you'll need bigger jets too.

My 2002 came de-snorkled with stock exhaust and stock engine... 150 main jets, 2 shims (I don't remember the idle jet settings, probably 2.5 turns out). The bike ran very strong.

With 03 cam swap, full exhaust & BMC filter I'm using 165 front and 162.5 rear, also using 17.5 pilots, adjustable needles on 4th clip and 2.5 turns out on idle jet screws. Now the bike is f*cking ///Fast!
so why do you guys run different jets in the carb for the front and rear..
i was just woundering.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Kid Thunder said:
so why do you guys run different jets in the carb for the front and rear..
i was just woundering.
Because the instructions said so ;D

The front cylinder runs cooler (better air flow) so it can handle more fuel. It's also cheaper 'cuz you can just order 1 each of all the jets.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
PeterM said:
Have you popped it onto a dyno mate?  Curious to see how the curve compares to mine as I've got all the same mods but I'm runnin 160fr & 157.5rr.  I do have my needles down to the 5th clip with a shim though.
Not yet but I want to someday soon...

My jetting is based on the "Factory Pro Tuning" kit. I used all the reccomended settings except I went one bigger on the main jets... it suggested 162.5 front and 160 rear (+/- 2 sizes), since i also have the cams I figured I'd bump up the jets one size.

It runs real strong, especially up top...

J

·
0 Posts
I just bought the lets for mine and now I'm scared to put them in after reading this!!!

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
nicksvs said:
donnie where did you buy your bmc open top race filter and did you have to buy their jet kit?
I got it (new) off Ebay.
Factory sells it as a kit with the filter... the kit specifies that it's to be used with a full exhaust.

·
Registered
78 Posts
leukus said:
i went with the 140 mains and 175 pilots, and 2 shimms. now the bike is running horribly. it almost wants to stall when pulling out and it is surging like crazy. I have a hard time keeping it running everytime i pull out.
I had symptoms not unlike that after rejetting and it turned out to be a stuck front choke cable.

So let us know what was wrong...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ahh i figured it out,
some how we missed putting the spring back on the needle. so one side had the spring the other side did not. miraculously, the soring actually stayed in the cover where we put it when we took it off, so i was lucky!!.

bike is running fine now, but i must say, i don't even notice a power change. The bike, is, running better then it was with the stock jetting and full yosh system, but i don't really think i gain much in the way of power or speed. i am debating de-snorkeling it but if that only gins me 2 extra pony's i am not sure i want to mess with it for just that.

Thanks to all for your advice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts