Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have an 04 SV650 at 3000 miles and I want to change oil before this weekend's trip....almost all of my riding is short commutes and errands.

I know I need 3 quarts of 10W/40 oil, but what kind of filters can I use and what kind of wrench for removal?

Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man!
Much appreciated.
I know manual says 4000 miles for the second service but I think all the short trips I do necessitates a "between services" oil change.

later,

jon

·
Registered
482 Posts
No problem. There's nothing wrong with changing it a little sooner than the 4000 mark. What works for you is what matters. Good luck with the oil change. It's not that hard, you shouldn't have any problems at all with it.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Definitely change before 4k. Oil is cheap insurance! I change every 2k - 3k. If you are in a pinch and can't get a filter form the dealer most auto parts stores carry fram motorcycle filters and you can get them anytime!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a specific part i have to buy or just ask for a "general motorcycle filter."....(as you might guess, i've never changed oil on anything other than a skateboard bearing)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
nah, you'll need an oil filter that is specific to your bike. there's about a bazillion of them out there, with different threads, different diameters, different lengths, etc etc etc.

dealership is probably the easiest place to get one, the OEM filter is somewhere around $12. with a little research, you can get a different filter for much cheaper...I did a bunch of research on this a while back, see my post on page 2 of this thread: http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=40705.15

the short answer to the oil filter question is: find one made by a reputable company that fits, and you should be fine, as long as it isn't a fram!!!! fram oil filters are garbage!!!!! use the OEM filter at least until your warranty is up...in case you have to use your warranty, they wont have that "NOT THE RECOMMENDED OIL FILTER, YOUR WARRANTY IS VOID!" leg to stand on. I dunno, maybe they wont do that...but I'm still gonna use the OEM until my warranty is out anyway, just in case.

oil? any motorcycle specific oil is fine. suzuki brand motorcycle oil is relatively inexpensive ($2 a quart at my dealership, IIRC). dont use regular old car oil, as it has friction modifiers that will reek havoc on your wet clutch. diesel specific motor oil is fine, too...I put Rotella T in my bike last weekend, and it has never shifted so smoothly!!!!!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
fram filters are garbage...and here's proof:

This page has cutaway pictures and evaluations of several oil filters.

Suzuki OEM:

Notice the METAL caps on the ends of the filter media.

here's the Fram:

notice the CARDBOARD end caps. If you're lucky, the cardboard end caps will allow dirty unfiltered oil to seep back through them into the oilpan. If you're unlucky, the 300 degree motor oil hitting that cardboard end cap under pressure is going to make it break apart, and you'll have little pieces of cardboard floating around in your engine. This is NOT an impossible scenerio...it has happened before, I've read documented cases of catastrophic engine failure due to that cardboard end cap on the fram oil filter breaking apart.

I used to use nothing but fram filters in my cars...they're cheap and readily available in just about any size. But I dont anymore!

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have heard this and I have seen this, but it seems to me that if a manufacturer (fram) meets OEM specs and standards, how can it be that bad?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
cyclerider105 said:
I have heard this and I have seen this, but it seems to me that if a manufacturer (fram) meets OEM specs and standards, how can it be that bad?
how do you know that it meets OEM specs?

besides...the "OEM specs" (per service manual) says use only genuine Suzuki brand oil filter.

even if it does meet the FILTERING requirements, that doesnt mean that it is well constructed.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Here is some help.

1)Go buy the Suzuki OEM filter and stay away from fram. The boys at the dealer see you face alot more often which equals free/discount on small things later on.

2) Castrol Act-Evo 10W-40, unless you race you don't need synthetic.  Just get this and be done with it.

3) Go buy a oil filter wrench "that fits your filter" and a 14mm wrench for the bolt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts