Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings from Toronto, Canada.

At 24k km (16k miles) , I notice the chain on my 2012 sv650sa is near end-of-life. I am looking at 4 chains (web links below, one has sprockets included). I do not want to change sprockets unless advised, they are in decent shape but I am not sure if their life is same as chain or more. Please share opinions if any of them is better than others. :

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
8,316 Posts
get 120 link and break to size. way easier than finding out it's too short for some reason on 108 link.
rk, did, regina, all make good chains (and bad ones... really pick a budget and get the chain that fits in it).
vortex... their sprockets are fine. not sure about their chains (probably rebranded from some other manufacturer)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
get 120 link and break to size. way easier than finding out it's too short for some reason on 108 link.
rk, did, regina, all make good chains (and bad ones... really pick a budget and get the chain that fits in it).
vortex... their sprockets are fine. not sure about their chains (probably rebranded from some other manufacturer)
Thanks, intend to order 120 link chain. I may just keep the original sprockets, they look ok.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
D.I.D. makes the original chain. I usually get a D.I.D. X-ring chain and Vortex sprockets around 22k miles. I am lazy about lubing and adjusting it. I'm approaching my 3rd replacement set as I now have ~62k on my bike. Always get new sprockets with a new chain.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I have used the RK chain and sprocket kit from Denniskirk.com. Got 28000+ miles from it, no cutting required. Best to change as a set.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Greetings from Toronto, Canada.

At 24k km (16k miles) , I notice the chain on my 2012 sv650sa is near end-of-life. I am looking at 4 chains (web links below, one has sprockets included). I do not want to change sprockets unless advised, they are in decent shape but I am not sure if their life is same as chain or more. Please share opinions if any of them is better than others. :

Thank you
I did my 06 sv650s about a year ago. It had 41,000 k's, about 25,000 miles. I did chain and sprockets. Because of the hight torque these engines have, replacing the set is a wise move. This is your main drive to the wheel. When you consider the difference in price, I would recommend do the kit. In Australia, I think mine was EK, racing chain. I got the specs for my SV and bought the appropriate kit. Roughly $200 in Australia. I think thats around $120 - $150 American

1 - 7 of 7 Posts