Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I'm brand new to the list. I've got cabin fever bad which means time to add another bike to the stable. I've been wanting to do track days and maybe a school or two. Been riding 40 years on various bikes from dirt to full dress hogs. Currently building a 650 Yam street tracker with a rephased crank. I have a friend who races an SV650 and has all good things to say about it.

I weigh just over 200 lbs and have arthritis in my thumb joints from beating them over the years. Clip-ons won't work for me so I need a naked bike with the higher bars. I have a chance to buy a leftover 2003 SV1000 for close to used cost. I'm thinking the 1000 is better for my size, will pull better in the lower rev ranges and still be light enough to toss around in the twisties and on the track.

So, I'm looking for objective opinions on the 650 vs the 1000. Please no emotional "1000's rule man!" kinda replies.
Not that I don't appreciate the passion you may or may not have for your bike, but I'm trying to determine the subtle differences between the bikes to make the right purchase decision. Looking for seat of the pants evaluations of the two bikes. I've read all the reviews and know that the 1000 comes with better suspension than the 650 but it is also easy to upgrade the 650. I'm most interested in how much grunt that 650 coming out of corners and such. I've heard that on a track the 1000 is not much faster than the 650. But on the street the 1000 is much more impressive.

Any and all experienced input is appreciated.

I'm going to go poke around your site now. Looks like a great source of info.

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
You'll find allot of info looking around.

You nailed most stuff already.

I'd buy the 1000 and ride it for awhile and see how you like it. If it's new and you only put 1000 miles on it to "test it out," then you could just sell it for close to the same price. Maybe a few hundred less and you could just view it as a CHEAP long-term rental

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
If tracks and twisties are what you're looking for - the 650 out-does the 1000. Hands down. The 1000 is an excellent ride - but curves is what the 650 lives for. This isn't "650 Rulez" - the magazines bear this out as well.

Also, I had a good conversation with a guy on this board and who has attended the Rallies. He had a 650, got a 1000.

He said the 1000 doesn't like to turn nearly as easily as the 650. In straight line - the big bike rules, of course - but it feels markedly heavier when trying to hustle twisties. More work. He told me he wished he still had the 650.

At 200 or so - you're 40 pounds lighter than Wacky_Woodchuck (was). I couldn't catch him on his 650 - even when his wife was on with him.

G

·
Welcome to the board Rob. You can't go wrong with either bike. 650=lighter, nimber, quicker handling 1K=TORQUE, heavier bike. Steal on a new 1000? I'd love to be in such a predicament :) Let us know.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Hi Rob, I have had a 650 since 2001 aand I love it, I am 6'3" and 210lbs. I test rode a 1000 and though it does have more power I found it was not as fun or confidenc inspiring. You can ring the neck of the 650 in a way that just makes the little kid in you come out. I have had and do have bikes with much more power,but I find myself taking the 650 out more often particularly when I go to the track. Also there is something very
satisfing to show your buddys a wheel on your "girls/beginer bike" In my opinion the 650 also makes you a better rider as you have to work on corner speed.Make no mistake at your weight you will wat to upgrade the suspension soon. I have been riding for 15 years and find that on a tight road I never want for more power. Hope this helps.

·
OberKommandant
6,133 Posts
Hi Rob, welcome. I have a 1k and my wife rides a 650. I've had both of them on the track. While it's true that the 1000 pulls harder out of the corners and blasts down the straights faster, it is quite a bit heavier than the 650 and you really feel this in the twisties. It comes with better suspension but you'll spend more stripping weight from the 1000 than you will upgrading the 650's suspension. I love both bike, they both have their place in my world. When I can afford it I will be picking up a 650 for a track bike and keeping my 1000 for street duty.

Hope this helped.

EDIT: I'm 6'3", 200 lbs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for the quick feedback. I'm stuck in a hotel outside of Boston with not much to do but this and watch the tube. Appreciate the quick responses. Will continue to monitor for added feedback.

It is tough to give up a good deal on a bike. Just got an email from a friend who heard that the newer Gen II 650s have case bearing problems where the Gen I bikes do not. Anybody heard about this?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the site.

From your post, it sounds like you might be happier with the 650 for the following reasons:

the full performance of the 650 will be more fully and easily tapped by an experienced rider than a newer one; 200 pound rider is a non-issue, the motor has you covered...

racing or track? 650 hands down: opportunity and flickability

the 650 is highly modifiable via aftermarket: it can be anything you want it to be

the 1K is a ruthlessly efficient machine, the 650 is a giggle bike

That's my adjustment...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like the fun factor points to the 650 over the 1000. Might just go with the Gen I bike as well if for no other reason than I like the instruments better than the TV screen on the Gen II. I read an article that said the Gen II naked versions have more rake and a shorter swingarm to give a more stable bike with the same wheelbase. Can't find the article now. Said it was done with tree offset. Measured Gen I versions and they are the same both up front and in the back.
My friend who does track days down south says the 650s smoke his older 750 Duc on a regular basis.

I also have the advantage olf all the free tuning info I want from my racing friend. Just got his expert rating this year. Hard to beat "good" free advice.

regards,

Rob

·
Registered
100 Posts
I owned ma naked 03 sv650 for 2 yeears then it was totaled and I bought an 03 sv1000 naked to replace it and I liked both bikes alot I'm about 200 lbs and the 650 had no problem moving with me on it even when my gf was on back. It handled great I put a 636 shock on it and 20wt fork oil and the suspension worked pretty good for street riding. Now I did the same thing you are thinking about I bought a leftover sv1000N for cheap. I do like it better than my 650 it has alot and I mean alot more power. I don't work it nearly as much as the 650. if you do your going way to fast. I don't think the steering is any slower than my 650 i can still toss my 1000 from side to side easily. I think the naked 1000 feels nimbler than the s models I haven't ridden an S but I don't think the 1000 handles any different than my 650 did. But in stock form the suspension and brakes are way better on the 1000. If you can get a good deal on a leftover sv1000N I would go for it. They only sold the sv1000N for half a year in the states.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Y'know - the added leverage the tubular bar gives on the naked may do a pretty good job at counteracting the added weight.

Slide the forks up in the triple clamps to get some additional weight over the front and the thow' may the ticket.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
For twisties, Get the 650, I am 5'11 235 and regularly spank the crap out of literbikes on the sportrides in KY. For HW touring get the 1000.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
yeah, these guys pretty much said all there is to say about the differences between the bikes. I can get my 1000 to go around the turns and hang with the 650 guys, but I am working a whole heck of a lot more to do it. I also had my suspension tuned, at a well known and trusted shop, as best they could with the stock equipment. I dropped the forks further down in the trees from the stock setting of 5mm to 12mm. That was far as I could go and still have proper sag settings for my springs. It did make the bike turn in quicker, but it is still not a 650.

Good luck with either bike you get, and Welcome to SVR.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've driven both, and in my opinion the difference in power is negligible relative to the cost difference. The 650 pulls very hard for its power, the difference is that the 1000 just keeps going after 110mph when the 650 dies off. The 1000 isn't really torquey, it's got the same midrange/top-end power delivery of the 650, just more of the same. Before anyone disagrees, I suggest they ride an open class supersport or any 1000+ four cylinder. Or a Ducati. That's torque.

The 1000 feels heavy and cumbersome compared to a sorted 650, and with an upgraded suspension and brakes it thoroughly trounces it. For almost half the cost. To me, the 1000 has never been worth the price; you can buy a 650 and upgrade it to your liking and still undercut the price of the 1000.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I have some experience on a TL100S which may not be all that relevent to your comparison.

I think the 1000 would be much nicer on the highway, but I try to avoid highway riding if possible. For the riding I prefer - tight, backcountry roads in the mountains - the 1000 required too much of my attention to be really fun.

On the other hand, riding my SV650 in the twisties is like playing tennis in the "zone" with the perfect racquet. The 650 is agile yet pulls hard. I am upgrading my suspension (I weigh 239), so it's only going to get better.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TestaStretta said:
I've driven both, and in my opinion the difference in power is negligible relative to the cost difference. The 650 pulls very hard for its power, the difference is that the 1000 just keeps going after 110mph when the 650 dies off. The 1000 isn't really torquey, it's got the same midrange/top-end power delivery of the 650, just more of the same.
THANKS!! That exactly the kind of detail I was looking for. I had a K1100RS that I sold due to handlebar buzz and the inability to keep it under 100mph. What I wanted to know and probably should have asked this specifically, what are the differences at sane highway speeds. The comments above sound like they are very close up to about 100mph and then the 1000 shines from a power delivery perspective. The 650 on the other hand shines in the handling department. Looking at the performance numbers for both bikes, the quarter mile and 60 to 80 roll on numbers are significantly different. But if below 60, the bikes perform very closely, then the better handling (and cheaper) bike would be my choice.

I've looked for 0 to 60 mph numbers but cannot find any. Plenty of quarter mile and high speed roll on info. Anybody know what the 0-60 numbers are for both bikes.?

And once again, truly appreciate the the great feedback.

Rob

·
Registered
899 Posts
Hey Rob! I own both and the 650 pretty much sits in my garage. I am totally addicted to the power of the SV1000. For most of my riding, which is around town, running the freeway and an occasional trip through the twisties, the power and stability of the 1000 really works for me! Either way, you will have a great bike!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Snakeoil said:
THANKS!! That exactly the kind of detail I was looking for. I had a K1100RS that I sold due to handlebar buzz and the inability to keep it under 100mph.  What I wanted to know and probably should have asked this specifically,  what are the differences at sane highway speeds. The comments above sound like they are very close up to about 100mph and then the 1000 shines from a power delivery perspective. The 650 on the other hand shines in the handling department. Looking at the performance numbers for both bikes, the quarter mile and 60 to 80 roll on numbers are significantly different. But if below 60, the bikes perform very closely, then the better handling (and cheaper) bike would be my choice.

I've looked for 0 to 60 mph numbers but cannot find any. Plenty of quarter mile and high speed roll on info. Anybody know what the 0-60 numbers are for both bikes.?

And once again, truly appreciate the the great feedback.

Rob
0-60 varies wildly according to the source, but most of the time they both hit it in the low 3 second range with a skilled rider. I wouldn't worry, the 650 is geared pretty low and accelerates nicely at lower speeds - I found the 1K and the 650 felt about the same until you got them up into the triple digits. Although don't expect to keep up with a supersport on either of them in a straight line.

I used to have a K100RS! An 85. I miss that bike - but I don't miss dropping it every time it would tilt 2 degrees off vertical. :X

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
0-60 doesn't tell as much as 1/4 mile or a roll-on (60-80mph, for example). The SV650 is about 1 second slower than the 1000 in 60-80mph roll-on: 3.56 vs 4.44 seconds, respectively. Note: fastest major sport bike's stock roll-on is 2.59 seconds. Guess who that is.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
kudos to rob for starting this thread. i have often pondered the switch from my 650 to the 1000 and the wealth of info here has actually made me decide to hang on to my 650 'til i can afford to have both ;)

great thread!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts