Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
13,325 Posts
gahdzila said:
When slowing down, I hear a noise that sounds something like buckshot mud tires on pavement...kinda hard to explain, kindof a "RRRRRR" decreasing in pitch as I slowed

is this between neutral then downshifting into first?  the transmission in the SV is constant mesh, thats why it is not necessary to "sybcronize the gears" like in a car, to make the gears engage. nice feature, but it comes with it's downside, the occasional  false netral, I believe the noise you heard was the effect you get between neurtal & 1st it happens mostly when you are coasting in neurtaland our are rolling way faster than your idle engine speed sometimes you might even get it going from 2nd into first.  Dirty lnkage is usually the culpret it will co away completly by dleiberatly shifting the shifter the rest of the way into first, pull the clutch in before you do it then release as normal taking caution with rolling speed vs engine speed

· Premium Member
13,325 Posts
gahdzila said:
possible, but I dont think so, randy...did it when clutch was pulled in at any gear, or in neutral.  I'm thinking it was possibly from the chain being too tight or rear axle crooked, as I'm not really hearing it as loud now that the chain is straight and a little looser (errr...is that a word?  more loose...you know what I mean).  I think most likely its just normal front sprocket noise that I never noticed before, and that the only reason I noticed it more while coasting is that the engine was idling and the exhaust note wasn't masking it with its bark.
it would only happen between neutral & 1st, and is a very loud racheting noise anywhere else and it's gotta be some kind of chain noise, but uf you hit that "false halfway into 1st" as i call it, it doesn't matter if the clutch is in or not, if you are rolling, it that
's the noise, I wouldn't worry about it much, it's one of those things that happens occasionally like a false neutral

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.