Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Need Help Trouble-Shooting an Electrical Problem with my 2003 SV650S

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  steveSLO 
#1 ·
Hi,

I need help trouble-shooting an electrical problem with my 2003 Suzuki SV650S motorcycle. Do you have ideas as to how to locate a short or where to focus my attention on locating the short in my SV650S? Do I just need to take a part all electrical connectors, tighten grounds, and/or clean or add some type of electrical grease to connectors?

The instrument panel on 2003 Suzuki SV650S loses power and the engine stops running (or will not start) when the cable from the steering lock assembly is not pulled away from the bike. The bike was purchased new from a dealer in April of 2004, has > 53K miles, no accidents or thefts, maintained in good condition, and intermittent loss of electrical power problems started in 2010.

Bike was supposedly fixed by a Suzuki mechanic when he replaced the steering lock assembly and electrical cable, because one pin of the electrical connector on the lock side was charred. The mechanic did say that the charring could be from electrical arcing that was caused by something else but would require maybe spending thousands of dollars trouble-shooting.

The bike worked for about a year, but was not ridden more than 100 miles during that year until the same problem happened while riding the bike. The bike stopped running and lost electrical power as indicated by power loss to the the instrument cluster. The only way to get the bike to run and not lose power as indicated by the instrument cluster was to pull the cable from the steering lock assembly away from the bike.

Today I disassemblied the bike to gain access to the electrical connector that goes to the steering lock assembly. The mating connector was securely attached to the frame, the male connector to the steering lock assembly was securely fastened to the female connector, and the cable side of the connector is in perfect condition without any charring.

Any ideas as to what is wrong or how to fix it?

Thanks, Robert

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi,

I need help trouble-shooting an electrical problem with my 2003 Suzuki SV650S motorcycle. Do you have ideas as to how to locate a short or where to focus my attention on locating the short in my SV650S? Do I just need to take a part all electrical connectors, tighten grounds, and/or clean or add some type of electrical grease to connectors?

The instrument panel on 2003 Suzuki SV650S loses power and the engine stops running (or will not start) when the cable from the steering lock assembly is not pulled away from the bike. The bike was purchased new from a dealer in April of 2004, has > 53K miles, no accidents or thefts, maintained in good condition, and intermittent loss of electrical power problems started in 2010.

Bike was supposedly fixed by a Suzuki mechanic when he replaced the steering lock assembly and electrical cable, because one pin of the electrical connector on the lock side was charred. The mechanic did say that the charring could be from electrical arcing that was caused by something else but would require maybe spending thousands of dollars trouble-shooting.

The bike worked for about a year, but was not ridden more than 100 miles during that year until the same problem happened while riding the bike. The bike stopped running and lost electrical power as indicated by power loss to the the instrument cluster. The only way to get the bike to run and not lose power as indicated by the instrument cluster was to pull the cable from the steering lock assembly away from the bike.

Today I disassemblied the bike to gain access to the electrical connector that goes to the steering lock assembly. The mating connector was securely attached to the frame, the male connector to the steering lock assembly was securely fastened to the female connector, and the cable side of the connector is in perfect condition without any charring.

Any ideas as to what is wrong or how to fix it?

Thanks, Robert
Where are you at?

Perhaps you could find a local yokel that has a better grasp of electrical troubleshooting than you do.

#5 ·
A multimeter, a wiring diagram, patience and enthusiasm. Proceed carefully, with a plan, and document/mark your progress. Perhaps stripping the covers off the loom where you pull the wires away may help pinpoint the problem.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.