Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post so hello everyone! Got my brand new SV650 last week and decided to install Renner sliders to have some protection against the inevitable drop. Sliders are from Renner (Race Crash Pads | Renner)

I accidentally loosened the bolt circled in the picture while installing the sliders (got confused where they go). I didn't take the bolt completely off but managed to get it loose before I realized I got the wrong one. The bolt where you're actually supposed to install the slider is the leftmost in the picture. Succesfully (I hope at least) installed the sliders (to the leftmost bolt in the pic) and torqued them to 40 Nm as per instructions I got from Renner. Put some Loctite to prevent the slider bolts loosening.

What is the right torque for the circled bolt? I asked the same question on Reddit Svriders group and the most popular suggestion was 69 ft lb. Someone also mentioned that the big bolt is one use only. There were different opinions on the need for Loctite, as well.
Wanted to chime in here as well to get it right. Thanks for any advice!
IMG-3116.jpg

·
Registered
224 Posts
AFAIK, the left-hand side bolt you accidentally loosened can't be loosened since it's integral with the bar going all the way through the frame to the right-hand side bolt.
This latter only can be loosened.
All you need to do is put two 18mm sockets on the two bolts and, while holding the left one firm, tighten the right one to 93Nm, according to the workshop manual.
Beware that the same manual states that the bolt is not to be reused.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Skywalker67! Ok, so the bolt definitely moved as I was loosening it but not much. I will tighten it back to 93 Nm, mark the bolt so that I can make sure it's not moving, and ask from the bike shop if it needs to be changed when I get the bike serviced in a couple of months. Why are they recommending not to reuse the bolt?

·
Registered
224 Posts
My guess is that it's a self-tightening bolt, which features a conical thread at the end.
When loosened, the end conical thread will no longer be conical, therefore its self-tightening feature won't be such any longer.

Reactions: BRonnie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm surprised I got it loosened that easily with my ratchet (although I had to use some force). Well, at least I'm learning new stuff about my bike, I just hope that I'm able to ride it safely!

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Looks to me that the manual is saying to not reuse the NUT on the right side....which is likely a self-locking type and once removed won't self-lock as well on the second go 'round. A bit of Loctite on it would probably be fine to keep it from moving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies! Yesterday I tried to tighten the bolt to 93Nm. Doing that I noticed that maybe I hadn't loosened the bolt at all but I was moving the whole bar and the right side bolt as well, just as Skywalker67 suggested. That was kind of a relief, as I hopefully have not done anything irreversible. In any case, I will get the bolts checked by a mechanic soon with the scheduled first maintenance.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks for the replies! Yesterday I tried to tighten the bolt to 93Nm. Doing that I noticed that maybe I hadn't loosened the bolt at all but I was moving the whole bar and the right side bolt as well
This makes sense. 93 Nm is hell of a force to be applied to the free end of a ratchet long maybe 30cm. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts