Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm helping a friend turn his wrecked Katana into a bobber and ran into a problem today. We shaved down his seat today and started to put the cover back on it. I originally started stapling it back on using a hand staple gun, with 6mm staples. The problem was most staples wouldn't go all the way through the plastic, or would hit the plastic and angle down so they wouldn't go all the way through. We figured it was do to a lack of power from the gun, so we ran out and got an electric one. Tried that, and ran into the same problem. Before we randomly start trying other methods I wanted to see what you guys do that works. We don't have access to an air compressor for pneumatics so that option is out. Should we be using different staples, a certain technique, a more powerful electric gun, or rent a gorilla to smash them in with his knuckles?

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
If the staples don't fully penetrate, I would gently push them all the way in with something like a flat head screwdriver or a wooden dowel. It's more work, but seems to work.

Also, try to put staples back in the same areas the old staples were removed from. Good luck.

tk

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
You could try heating the plastic seat pan with a heat gun first.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Try rivets instead.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try rivets instead.
We had tossed around that idea but wasn't sure how well it'd work, I'm guessing that's what you use Doug?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you find any thinner staples?
We are already using pretty thin ones, but I haven't looked to see what other thicknesses there are.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Nope..I use staples. I have not come across a seat pan yet that the staples will not work for. I did have a buddy that used for work for a steel company..he said many staple manufactures are not getting their steel from overseas..which is junk..try switching brands.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which brand do you use?

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I use an air stapler. I have covered dozens of seats and it works great. Of course you need an air source, so that could be a problem.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I found that the staples would go in best if I put a little (a lot of )extra pressure right at the moment I pulled the trigger, and then backing off entirely. I went from having staples that were going half way into the pan to staples that went all the way in when I did my seat. I have a cheapo stapler too--arrow staples too DZ.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the help guys, I think I'll try again this weekend and see how it turns out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts