Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He everyone, I have a 02 sv650n that wont run.

I took a 2 hour ride saturday and another 2 sunday and tried to start it up when i got home today, and it wont start without a full choke and it wont idle at the correct rpm(1200rpms instead of 3000 normally). The bike rode perfect all the way before, the only problem was some back firing while the engine warmed. I had this problem before and a mechanic said it was just carbs clogging up and put something in my tank to clean them out, and told me the engine was very cold natured and took about five minutes to warm up so i always allowed it plenty of time to warm up. I have no clue what to do and need help badly because the closest suzuki dealer is 2 hours from my house.

Thank you everyone. I truely appreciate any advice/help you can give.

my baby that wont run :(

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Sounds like you need to pull the carbs and disassemble and thoroughly clean, especially the pilot jets. The SV motor is a bit cold blooded but doesn't need to sit idling for long periods to warm up if the carbs are clean as well as the enrichment circuit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ill attempt to clean the carbs this weekend. If anyone has any tips on that please post. Im new to working on it and don't want to mess things up worse.
Also Im not sure if this matters but this past weekend i had to ride for about an hour in heavy rain. Do you think some of it may have gotten in the tank? If so do you believe i should drain the tank and what is the best way to accomplish this.
Thank you RMAN for the advice

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I would check that water didn't get in the front cylinder rather than thinking about the tank. It is fairly common if you ride in the rain and don't do some simple weather proofing (dielectric grease shmeared in the sparkplug boot).
There is a drain hole that can get clogged.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there was no water in the front cylinder, carbs werent clogged. it was just the spark plugs had gotten very fouled up and wasnt firing. thank you all for the help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts