Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a car jack and four jackstands but i don't have anything to lift a motorcycle (and i don't want to spend an additional 100+ getting one). I tried searching for how people have managed to work on their bikes w/o a real motorcycle jack but the words i'm using are too common with other words (jack =JACKet, stand =side-stand).

What have people done to lift their bikes w/o buying the 'proper' tools. Has anybody tried modifying their own car jack and jackstands to accomdate their motorcycle?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Take two jackstands and place one on either side of the bike on a flat surface. Take a rag or something soft and place it on the surface of the jack and place this under neath the motor, behind the filter. Jack it up and hold into the bar, place one jack stand on the UNSPRUNG, ody of the foot peg (also with a rag to avoid scratches) and do the same on the other side, teetering the bike side to side until you get it up to the necesarry working height. With a tripod effect, the bike ain't goin' no where.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
avc8130 said:
Or, put two strong bolts in the spool holes in the swingarm and put the bike on jackstands with those.
ac
+1, that's exactly what I do.

how much lifting do you need to do? if you just want to lift the rear for chain maintenance, the bolts/swingarm/jackstand solution is super easy, and right up your alley since you already have jackstands.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
You are going to need two people for this one.

Use two 6 foot stepladders, one on each side of the bike, run a 2x4 thru the bike under the shovel fender and support on the steps of stepladders.
I changed my stock shock that way.  As long as I kept my applied forces to the ratchets and wrenches in a vertical orientation, there was no problems.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
btw, the jacks for cars are most usefull. they allow you to adjust the height easier than the hand pump style ones.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I used his idea ..... something like this .....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts