Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Im going to look at a 02 SV650s, this will be my first bike and the guy is willing to take 1500, the problem is, is he dropped it and so on the left side the mirror needs to be replaced and clutch handle and foot shifter need to be fixed. Would this be a good buy? I also have someone thats going to help my fix it that knows alot about bikes i would just like other opinions, also its not a salvage title. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Miles? How many other owners? Maintenance records? At first glance $1,500 seems like a good deal. Mirrors, clutch handle, and foot shifter can be had for just a few bucks around here or on eBay so the cosmetic damages are no big deal. Have you ridden it or at least heard it run? The 02 is still a carbed bike so make sure that aspect of the bike doesn't look like it has been abused or neglected. If this is your first bike, have your friend that knows about bikes go along with you to check it out as well. He should know of some basic things to go over when inspecting a bike. Good luck and you'll be happy with your purchase if you get it! And don't forget an MSF class!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Miles? How many other owners? Maintenance records? At first glance $1,500 seems like a good deal. Mirrors, clutch handle, and foot shifter can be had for just a few bucks around here or on eBay so the cosmetic damages are no big deal. Have you ridden it or at least heard it run? The 02 is still a carbed bike so make sure that aspect of the bike doesn't look like it has been abused or neglected. If this is your first bike, have your friend that knows about bikes go along with you to check it out as well. He should know of some basic things to go over when inspecting a bike. Good luck and you'll be happy with your purchase if you get it! And don't forget an MSF class!
Is has 30K on it, and i will be going to check it out tomorrow, but the thing is i cant take my friend he is working and the seller only gets tuesdays off so im going before work, so im going to take pictures of all damage and show him, he is the only owner also.

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
With the damaged you described you should be able to hear the engine run. You should not hear any ticks or knocks. Check for fluid leaks and engine case damage. Check to be sure the forks are not bent and that the bike rolls OK. Levers and shifters are cheap on ebay. It sounds like a decent deal, but only if it runs and has cosmetic damage. Good luck!
MST

·
Registered
76 Posts
$1500 seems almost too good a deal for a 2002 that has <$100 damage as described. On the other hand, the seller might just need a quick sale. Since your friend cannot go, pack your BS meter. Put it at its highest setting. Check out the seller's environment. This gives important clues as to his care of the SV. If you arrive to a chorus of mangy chow-chows and the seller pops up from behind some mechanical debris while working on the bottom end of a 12-pack, there may be a problem. If the meeting takes place with the bike on the seller's truck at the mall parking lot, there may be a problem. If the seller has scared himself off of bikes due to the crash, proceed, but carefully. As above, get as much history as you can and listen to the bike. $1500, hmm. If this is real you're doing great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts