Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your need help identifying a spring that feel off my bike. I put my 04 SV650 up on a swing arm stand to adjust the chain. I loosened up the rear axle and a few seconds later the spring in the picture fell from the bike. It appeared to come somewhere from the lower rear shock/kickstand area. I looked all over and everything appears to be in place. I've ridden it about 100 miles since it fell off and no issues. My bike only has 600 miles on it and has never been worked on or modded other than the undertail kit done by the previous owner. Any ideas?  ???

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looks like the spring off the rider footpegs.
There's a spring mounted on there to push the pegs back down if you scrape them round a corner...
makes sure your pegs always sit flat.
And it looks like the one in your picture.

If I'm right... the one with the spring still on should show you how to remount it.
There's a little retianing clip that's supposed to stop them coming off. So you may be missing that too.
Should be only a few cents or so to replace though

what I'm thinking of is part 14 from this fiche:
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0349/footrest_model_k4_k5/footrest_model_k4_k5.cfm?man=su&groupid=11770&parent=11730
though that shouldn't be able to fall out and your peg still stay attached.. so I could be wrong.

edit:
Actually... the spring off the gear shifter looks more likely:
try part 15 from:
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0349/gear_shifting_model_k4/gear_shifting_model_k4.cfm?man=su&groupid=11770&parent=11730

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damo, Thanks for the reply. I checked the foot peg and it is not that one. The foot peg springs are silver and less coiled rings (maybe half as many) and most importantly they are both accounted for. The other on part 15 looks more like it but not exactly. Is this part 15 the "gear spring" exposed to where it could just fall out or is it a part that is sealed within the engine?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ahh.. I'm afraid you've got me there.
I don't actually know. I've replaced the footpegs so I knew about that one first hand, but the gear spring I saw as I was looking through the fiche to see if I could find anything that matched your picture.

And it's not clear from the fiche if the part is internal or not. But as it was the only bit I could find that looked like it matched I though I'd point it out.
Hopefully someone else will be able to be more useful ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Looking at the diagram I think that part 15 is internal. just my 2 cents. Good luck

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. :) I'm sure someone here has some extensive time working on the transmission to be able to identify if that spring is the gear spring or not. bueller.....bueller.......  :-\

·
Registered
597 Posts
Ok, I will just list a couple springs that I know of.....

Footpegs (You already got that one)
Brake Lever
Rear Seat Lock
Clutch

Look around for other things that it could have fallen off of (Not the bike)

P.S. I hope that tablesaw was unplugged. :p

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
looks like a screw driver to me.... oh wait that spring ummm i don't know

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is gonna drive me crazy. Everything "seems" to be OK yet I have this extra spring that feel off. All I can do when I ride now is think where did this come from. Which brings up a good idea. If you want to mess with a friend's head get a few bolts and drop them under his bike. Then make a comment about where did those bolts come from that just fell off his bike. ;D

·
Registered
81 Posts
It might be worth shooting an email off to ron ayers motorsports. From memory he rides or used to ride an SV,
so he might be more helpful that your standard suzuki dealer.

part sales & inquiries: [email protected]

·
Registered
32 Posts
agreed, it's driving me crazy as well... i looked at every fiche at ronayers and barring everything others have mentioned, the only thing i can see that fits the bill is one of the springs off the throttle bodies. can't imagine how that spring or any other would pop off as it's obviously designed to have a shaft running through it. like treoff noted - look for what else in the garage it could be. - jeff h

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's a local Sacramento SV workshop tomorrow. I'm going to bring the spring and see if I can get some help looking the bike over.

M

·
0 Posts
You might have a friend with a sick sense of humor. ;D

Have you visited a firehouse lately? Firemen get bored and a favorite passtime would be to place some extra part to fall off, out or in a place to be discovered by it's owner later.

Another favorite when someone stops by to show off a new vehicle is to pour any kind of automotive fluid on the ground underneath when the proud owner isn't looking then point out the "leak" the help look for it's source. New Harleys automaticly got a handfull of rags tossed under them when they parked. That's even funner than super gluing quarters to the sidewalk.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I'd ask the shop I purchased it at if they had lost a peg spring off of an RM. Sure looks like one to me. ???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts