Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I am yet again with another newb question. I finally got around to finishing my forks. I followed the Haynes manual, plus some tips from www.Bluepoof.com. The capacity according to Haynes is 491cc for a US model, and 491cc for a Euro. Mines Japanese so I went in the middle with 490cc :p Anyhow, it says to measure the level and adjust accordingly. 103mm comes to 4.05 inches. When I measure I get 10.5inches :eek: Where am I going wrong? Also, when I drained the forks not nearly 490cc came out. Should I just keep the 490cc and reassemble? Thanks for any help, and being patient with my questions. -Mac

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The forks were pushed all the way down when I measured. I just seems odd that Haynes calls for that much oil, and then the level seems way high. -Mac

·
Registered
5,407 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That makes much more sense ;D One more question. Which is more important, the capacity 491cc or the 103mm measurement? Thanks! -Mac

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Level is more important. The captive air at the top of the tube acts like a progressive spring. The smaller the air gap, the quicker the pressure builds when the forks compress. You can play around with the oil level, but be careful reducing the air gap much. Too small an air gap and you can blow the seals. Lowering the level reduces the effect of the "progressive air spring", and is safer for the seals.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just finished mine. I brought the oil up to 3 1/2" from the top with the shock fully compressed. Raced all weekend on them and they felt awesome. You are in the right ballpark for stock, 4". I wouldn't sweat it one way or another. Oil level is not an exact science, it is a matter of personal preference with how you want the bike to ride.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Just finished mine. I brought the oil up to 3 1/2" from the top with the shock fully compressed. Raced all weekend on them and they felt awesome. You are in the right ballpark for stock, 4". I wouldn't sweat it one way or another. Oil level is not an exact science, it is a matter of personal preference with how you want the bike to ride.
Are you using stock springs?? That's awfully high if you have the right rate.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks a lot! I'm about 4" give or take a hair on both tubes. Sucks I won't get to try them out til June. I'll be heading down to Okinawa for some training, and she still has a few quirks to work out as well :( I'll report back then ;D Thanks again! -Mac

edit: I'm not a racer. I ride to and from work, and hit the mountains on the weekends. I ride a "spirited pace" not very aggressive. :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts