Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some experience-backed suggestions on choosing my next used bike. Most of my rides are between 2-3 hours on mountain windy roads (Santa Cruz Mtns), but I am also looking for something that can do occasional 6-7 hour rides with breaks without making my ass scream (not to be confused with ice cream or ass cream). Lockable storage, after market or not, is also needed (currently have a GIVI topcase on my SV). Ultimately, I want an upgrade from the SV and to try something new probably around the 800cc to 1000cc range that's either an ergo friendly sportbike or possibly a more sporty sport touring model (possible, less likely).

Rider: 6' 185lbs, 26 years old, 12k miles on a SV650N over the last 18 months

Price range: $2.8k to $3.8k

Other notes on preference: I test rode a 2001 Triumph Sprint ST and really liked the ergos. I think I might miss flickability with this bike, but it's not out of the question. Torso lean angle on the SV is great, could use some more leg room though. The BMW GS and Yamaha FZ1 are too upright for my taste. Might do some 2-up riding, but it's a minor factor. The legroom on the R1 is great, but the torso lean angle is too much for me. I would classify myself as a mildly aggressive rider in the twisties. Reliability is pretty important because money is present, but not overflowing and so is the price limit of $3.8k... closer to $3.2k is even better.

Anyway, I'm aiming to try out a decent amount of bikes, but I wanted to get some insight on what might be worthwhile to seek out and try via craigslist (because, I'll be damned, there are a lot of models out there). Thank you kindly in advance.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
VFR or Ninja 1000.

I love the VFR. It's one of those bikes that's damn awesome at a huge range of everything.

edit: scratch Ninja 1000, noticed your budget. Maybe check out a CB919.

·
Registered
832 Posts
2nd the VFR. SV1000 might be another possibility. I have ridden twins since the beginning 12 years ago and went to a ZRX and hated it. Sold it and bought another SV for my reliable ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I've been looking a lot at the VFRs since reading each of your suggestions. Are there any particular model years each of you would recommend? I know there's a lot of mixed opinion on the VTEC models. What is your view?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I wanted a lighter, smaller bike when I went from my Kaw Concours to my naked SV a while back, and have been happy with the change. But for any kind of extended riding, or >two-up<, the "Conny" was really enjoyable, comfortable, super wind protection, plenty of guts, just a whole different experience than the little SV. You might want to check one out, they have always been "value-priced", bet you could pick up a decent older example in your price range. A little beefy, but really nice to ride. Just a suggestion...

·
very big dumb
8,897 Posts
sprint 1050
awesome bike, still quite tossable (no issue grinding the pucks into the asphault) lots of storage options. very linear and smooth powerband.
with the sargent seat, it was comfortable as fcuk.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I would suggest the 1998-2001 VFR800. Fuel injected, gear-driven cams, and no VTEC.
:eek:ccasion14: What he said. That generation's considered by many viffer fans to be the epoch of viffer lineage.

I had one with 130,000km on it, rode it one season as my DD until 156,000km and then sold it (needed funds for racing endeavours). Got more than I bought it for. Great bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts