Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, quick question about craigslist/paypal. I put up my ICON jacket for sale and got an email today from a potential buyer. Here is what he said:

thanks for your response, i will like to pay you through my pay pal
account because am out of town all left with me is my pay pal, kindly
get back to me as soon as possible with your pay pal email account so
i can transfer the funds to your account and i will add additional fee
for shipping.

I hate to assume the worst in people, but is there anyway that this guy can rip me off if we use paypal? The hole thing about him being "out of town" sounded kind of sketchy. I just don't want to some how get screwed over. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I would avoid it. Even if you're protected it could still be a huge hassle. The whole thing sounds iffy. I've had friends get ripped off, so I personally avoid anything that's the slightest bit sketchy. Paypal won't necessarily protect a transaction such as this, I don't think.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't do it, that sounds like a scammer.

·
Registered
667 Posts
for shipping.
If their funding source for paypal does a chargeback or doesn't clear, the money will be taken out of your account as well. I personally wouldn't deal with them, one of the things that is always in the Phishing emails is the offer to pay extra, and horrible grammar.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
There's nothing wrong with it.

Do you have a PayPal account now? If so, BFD!! Give him your PayPal address and let him do the transaction. You'll know virtually instantaneously when the money is in your PayPal account. Just check it to be sure all is well and only use the links provided by PayPal''s secure site. Also, make sure he is a "Confirmed" user.

What have you got to lose? The money doesn't show up...you still have the goods!

I will very seldom do business with someone that does NOT take PayPal. Out of the thousands of dollars of goods I have bought for my SV, not one of them has gone without PayPal's service. Just always make sure to follow PayPal's links and be sure you're actually on their secured site by looking for the "https" URL to www.paypal.com and nothing different.

The "Cashier's Checks" have been bigger scams than anything. Those can take weeks to transit and come up bogus when they go to clear. Lots and lots of rip=offs done that way...way more than bad deals through paypal.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It sounds phishy but you are receiving funds. You may lose the goods but if you are willing to risk it then I'd say go for it.

I wouldn't withdraw the money from paypal right away. Let it sit there for a couple weeks to make sure that you aren't the recipient of stolen funds/accounts. Maybe check w/ paypal first to see what their policy is so that you know whats up just in case things go fowl.

If anything, get a cashiers check but you still won't be 100% safe. Nowadays, fraudulent checks get accepted by banks all the time and 2-3 weeks later the bank discovers that is a stolen check and you lose your money anyways.

Best advice....wait for someone local to purchase and take cash or sell it here on the boards.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Check with PayPal, but I think all you have to give is your paypal address, no number necessary (or address, anything else personal). Thats what makes paypal so good. They always take the money right out of my account, then send me a confirmation email. I tend to use paypal for all my internet transfers, most folks take it now.

·
Registered
667 Posts
If he funds his account with a check, wait for it to clear through paypal, or they will pull the money out of your account if it fails to clear, same if he does a CC chargeback.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is they guy supposdly from your area, then if he is have one of his freinds come over with the cash, I bought my bike off of craigs list like 2 weeks ago from and im in the middle east I had my brother go over to my moms house and get 3 grand of mine out of my account then he took it to the guy and rode the bike back to my house and stuffed it in the garage, have one of his friends go get it if not, it sounds like a rip off

·
Registered
67 Posts
no... it should be good... get his information and send him an invoice/bill.... then he cant screw you over... thats what I always do...

·
Registered
378 Posts
It is a scam.... I'd be willing to bet $100.

I have been scammed on paypal. I sold a laptop for $300 on ebay, he paid me with paypal, few months later I get a charge back... I think it was a stolen credit card.

Paypal made me pay the $300 back and I did not get my laptop back. Paypal said I needed to do signature confirmation... anything over $250 needs sig conf to be backed up.... didn't know that at the time.

Even if you wait till the money clears.... chances are they will do a chargeback and it will be a huge hassle, even if paypal does back you up. EVEN if paypal saved you from being out of money from this scammer, why even deal with scammers, they are either trying to get your money or free stuff.... which they will if you sell to him.

Maybe tell him to mail you money through western union or something... a certified check... don't mail the stuff until you can verify with western union that the money is real and there is no way to do a charge back or something like that.

AND... WHO needs/wants used gear so badly that they are willing to pay extra for shipping and stuff... you can find great deals all over the place... even on brand new stuff.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I sell a lot of stuff on craigslist.... I get these kind of requests all the time... always by email... they are too scared to talk to you on the phone (really it is a waste of their time since I think most people don't fall for it).

I make it a policy to NEVER ship items on craigslist. There are local buyers, wait for them... only take CASH.

It's just not worth your time/risk trying to determine if these guys are trying to scam you... probably 99.9% of those type of requests are complete scams.

I also find it funny how they don't even try to negotiate.... BUT they are even willing to PAY MORE than the shipping costs. That is like reverse negotiating. They do this so you feel you are getting a great deal, but these scammers have a trick up their sleeve.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey guys, quick question about craigslist/paypal. I put up my ICON jacket for sale and got an email today from a potential buyer. Here is what he said:

for shipping.

I hate to assume the worst in people, but is there anyway that this guy can rip me off if we use paypal? The hole thing about him being "out of town" sounded kind of sketchy. I just don't want to some how get screwed over. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Yes that sounds wrong ,I was approached that way on another item I was selling. Check out craig'slist own info,on this fraud subject-It is one of their own samples of fraud- Good luck! I have had better luck in the mc (classifieds forums) real mc people are usually better to deal with than "the public"

·
Super Moderator
6,933 Posts
It is a scam.... I'd be willing to bet $100.

I have been scammed on paypal. I sold a laptop for $300 on ebay, he paid me with paypal, few months later I get a charge back... I think it was a stolen credit card.

Paypal made me pay the $300 back and I did not get my laptop back. Paypal said I needed to do signature confirmation... anything over $250 needs sig conf to be backed up.... didn't know that at the time.

(SNIP)
That bites!

I was under the impression that it was PayPals responsibility to confirm that a CC was legit - it should be, they are the ones accepting it.

How would you do a signature confirmation anyway? Sounds like PayPal just doing a CYA. It took a few months for them to figure it out?

Jay

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
I only paypal in 2 scenarios: transactions with people I know/trust and Ebay.

both scenarios offer some security and protection from scamming, but neither is problem free. At least with ebay there is a record of the transaction occurring. I would NEVER take paypal over craigslist.

·
Registered
854 Posts
+1 to all the people that called scam. Stay away. I've been trying to sell an engagement ring (not seriously, just reposting it on Craigslist every few weeks) for 6 months or so (anybody looking for a ring, feel free to PM me :) ). Probably 95% of replies are of that form. Horrible (like 1st grader bad) grammar, fishy stories, they try to set terms of the sale, etc.

If a buyer is actually interested in your what you're selling, it will be clear in an email. They'll give a phone number, or ask questions about the item. Like others have said, generally CL works for local sales only. Anything else is much much higher risk for the seller.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Another clue to this being a scam:

for shipping.
It doesn't even mention the item you are selling. They just copy and paste that message to every mark they find.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts